ID: Shrub with red leaves

rockandrollerApril 22, 2012

We have dozens of these growing in a patch of the back yard. They all seem to have kept their leaves over the winter, and look to have tiny little growing tips now. Leaves are mostly red now, about 2 inches long...

We're wondering WHAT THEY ARE, and if we should prune these or just leave them alone??

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

It appears to possibly be some kind of azalea. Does the NB mean "New Brunswick"? I think there are some wild Rhododendron (Azalea) species that would grow that far north.

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 1:47PM
celtic_07(3b)

I also think it could be a rhododendron. They grow in my area very well and yes they keep their leaves on during the winter,There are many varieties that you can buy that are suited to here. lois

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 6:31PM
rockandroller

Yes, NB is New Brunswick.
Thanks for the tips, I've done some Googling and these do indeed appear to be rhodos - maybe the native Canadense variety, I'm not sure.

Leaves are pretty beat up after the winter, do you think we should prune these plants??

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 2:19PM
denninmi(8a)

Well, I tried to do some more research on this, and now I'm not sure. It seems that none of the native East Coast rhodies/azaleas are evergreen. But, maybe it's like some seedling peach trees I had last winter that actually kept green, live foliage near the ground all winter because it was so mild.

Anyway, whatever they are, I wouldn't prune them now, except to remove broken/dead branches. I would just let them go, maybe throw a little fertilizer on them, and see what they do.

Finally, from your three new photos, I'm not quite sure if the third one is the same thing, or something else entirely. Photo #3 looks almost like Wintergreen to me. But, it could just be what the original plant in question looks like without being so "toasted" by the winter, since the third one looks like its really low to the ground and may have been more sheltered.

Anyway, when they grow, if anything interesting pops out, especially if they bloom, please update the post so we can see what it looks like and maybe help pin this down further. Thanks.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 5:52AM
More Discussions
Overwintering Tree form lavender
My inlaws gave my wife a lavender 'tree' for mother's...
Sherwood Botsford
Black walnut tree
Hi, I am having a blackwalnut tree cut down, and the...
joy4so
Something killing my million bells!
They were flourishing and beautiful. Now there's some...
JJcanuck
False Sunflower
I am always impressed with the knowledge on this site,...
dawny2u2
Heirloom Plant & Herb Sale...especially for midwest gardeners
Saturday, May 23 9 AM-Noon Concordia University, 12800...
jeannelmueller
Sponsored Products
Campania International Linea Planter - Set of 3 - 6324-13403
$629.99 | Hayneedle
SMV Ratchet Bypass Lopper Multicolor - GRBL-30
$36.99 | Hayneedle
Sun Joe 9.5 in. Electric Grass Trimmer - TRJ609E
$29.99 | Hayneedle
SMV 8.5 in. Bypass Pruner Multicolor - GBPP-8.5
$13.99 | Hayneedle
Decorative Hammered Roof Path Light by Kichler
$134.00 | Lumens