when can I start my seeds?

chadnliz(5)April 1, 2006

I would like to get a jump on planting. when is the best time to start seeds indoors? I have veggie seeds and flower seeds. Nothing exciting. I live in North East part of Ohio, next to the West Virgina line and Pennsylvania line.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Well it really depends on exactly what seeds you have, and what room you have for growing them indoors. If you just have a very sunny windowsill, starting long season veggies like tomatoes and eggplants is a good idea or they won't reach maturity before fall. If you have indoor fluorescent (shop) lights, you could start more stuff. If you want more info on growing under lights, there is a forum for that or there is a lot of discussion of it on the Vegetables Forum.

Generally speaking, you should read the back of the seed pack for early starting info, and look up your last frost date at the link below, and that will give you an idea of when to start what. But lots of seeds do best started directly in the garden. In very broad terms, now is a good time to be planting a lot of vegetable and flower seeds for an early start.

Hope that helps. If you need any more specific info, just ask.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frost Dates

Bookmark   April 1, 2006 at 7:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shelj

also, check out the winter sowing forum. most of my perennials have been sprouting and will be planted out after easter (planted in milk jugs outside in January), and my annuals and veggies were set out in the last month. great part - no damp off!

(umm haven't figured out the link system yet)...
Shel

Bookmark   April 9, 2006 at 7:16PM
More Discussions
suggestions for buying online clematis
I am looking for Canadian sites to search/buy clematis...
bloomorelse
yellow magnolia tree
Is it to late to move a small magnolia tree that is...
diane_v_44
DESPERATELY Seekig Bakeapple/Cloudberry
Hello, I do not live in Canada; please forgive my forum...
Robin282
Elderberries Eaten
Every year I lose most my elderberries to something....
dawny2u2
delphiniums
Can someone tell me where the best place in Canada...
marricgardens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™