Help! Planting bed paved over!

concretejungleApril 13, 2008

Due to grade/groundwater problems, the foundation planting bed in front of my condo is gone and I'm left with a vent pipe and blacktop right up to the siding.

I tried massing containers of various sizes but there is a lot of foot traffic here and and people started stealing them within an hour of my placing them out there. Plus, last summer the pavement started to crack and sprout thistles - ugh!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't have much gardening experience and what I am familiar with are alpine shade plants and dealing with clay soil so this is totally foreign to me.

I've been wondering if it would be feasible to build three shallow "beds" out of railroad ties; fill them with burlap tubes full of soil; spread mulch, pebbles or other camouflage over that and then cut holes in and plant shallow rooted ground covers and herbs. What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kristal(3b MN)

Large heavy clay or ceramic pots are very hard to steal, but don't forget about drainage. Be creative. You could use whiskey barrels or build yourself some sort of raised bed.

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 2:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
froggyluver16

get a dog not one of those cute little babie syou carry everywhere, and keep in a special puppy cradle, but one of those big dogs, also know as a gentle giant, german shepards, saintbernards, great danes, (bull mastifs or a rotweiler if your looking for a fiercer look, yet gentle spirit)
have your dog outside when people are walking by.

the most people will stay far away from your yard=) and your plants=)

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
Calling Idaho Gardeners! Help!
I'm working on a book which takes place in central...
HollyKline
Need to buy a red leaf dwarf japanese maple asap
I need to know if it's possible and where I can order...
goudanuf4u
blueberries
blueberries
rosebacopa2
Something is eating my Basil
This was hapenning in my previous garden. I would bring...
magan
Raspberries
Hi Northern Gardeners, I want to plant one of my sunniest...
eatsivy
Sponsored Products
Jefferson Adjustable Arbor - White Finish
Fifthroom.com
San Marco FJ Pendant
Lightology
Area Rug: John Black 4' Square
Home Depot
Mykonos Blue Cleo 16" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Noelle Rug 5'6" x 7'5"
$1,049.00 | Horchow