Black Beauty or Guincho Purple Elder

shadow_Z3(z3 MB)April 26, 2005

Which one of these is the hardier elder? Every time I buy a magazine, they say one or the other is hardier. Please advise.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

Not sure, most sources I read say both are actually sambucus nigra and hardy to zone 4.

I do have another cultivar of sambucus nigra, sambucus nigra 'madonna' and it does suffer winter kill. It was two feet high last summer and died back to about a foot. However, seeing that it is basically newly planted, this might have affected it as well.

It's supposedly quick growing, so once it gets an established root system it will be interesting to see how big it gets in one summer.

Glen

Bookmark   May 2, 2005 at 12:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ninamarie(4Ont.)

I'm not sure about hardiness, but 'Black Beauty' is a much nicer shrub than Guicho Purple. Guicho Purple greens up during the summer. The leaves on Black Beauty are much, much darker and stay that way. Madonna has not fared well here, usually suffering severely from winter die back. Both Guicho purple and Black Beauty seem stronger. In fact, the Black Beauty planted last November (replacement for Guicho) as a companion for a golden-leaf elder is already leafing out, much ahead of other shrubs in the garden.

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
suggestions for buying online clematis
I am looking for Canadian sites to search/buy clematis...
bloomorelse
Something killing my million bells!
They were flourishing and beautiful. Now there's some...
JJcanuck
Blue Delphinium Reverting to White
I planted a 'Blue Butterfly' delphinium last year and...
Amanda33
DESPERATELY Seekig Bakeapple/Cloudberry
Hello, I do not live in Canada; please forgive my forum...
Robin282
False Sunflower
I am always impressed with the knowledge on this site,...
dawny2u2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™