Baptisia - I think I goofed.

gavia_immer(z6 MA)April 30, 2005

Three years ago I planted a wild baptisia in a new garden bed (from a container - not seed). I thought the location was sunny half the day, but it turned out to be less. I got gorgeous shape and foliage the second year, but no blooms. Having not done any research on the plant, I tried to relocate it to a sunnier spot last fall. It died, of course. My questions are: Do baptisia require several years of growth before they bloom, and just how much sun do they need to bloom? I'm not sure which of these was my problem.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Alta(farnorthcanada)

Could be both, though our growing conditions are very different. Here they take about four years to bloom. I've never grown one in true full sun. That's premium territory.

Bookmark   May 1, 2005 at 10:19PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Someone send me seeds this year and she said it could take three or four years to bloom, but that it was worth waiting for. I've winter-sown the seeds and have about four sprouts. I've heard they're spectacular in bloom - do you have one, Alta? I don't remember seeing pictures of it in your yard.

Bookmark   May 1, 2005 at 11:05PM
kerstin_swe(z5swe/3USDA)

They are like peonys long lived and therefor neeeds time
Taprooted, so they dont like transplanting
I have mine in full sun
The white form, baptisia pendula has black stems -its a beauty too

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   May 2, 2005 at 1:05PM
gavia_immer(z6 MA)

Thanks for your responses. I guess I will have to try one again, but in a differnt spot this time. Mine was a Baptisia
Alba. Now I need something to put in it's place. The sight gets mostly morning sun until almost mid day. in the same bed I have two different kinds of bee balm (one blueish, one red, different bloom times) and some red astilbe. I open to suggestions.

Bookmark   May 2, 2005 at 3:34PM
gavia_immer(z6 MA)

Will wonders never cease? Both sections of the plant I dug up and transplanted have made an appearence sometime in the last month. I am truly amazed. I know better now to leave well enough alone and wait for the blooms now and will enjoy the foliage until then.

Gavia

Bookmark   June 1, 2005 at 8:25PM
More Discussions
Something killing my million bells!
They were flourishing and beautiful. Now there's some...
JJcanuck
Black walnut tree
Hi, I am having a blackwalnut tree cut down, and the...
joy4so
Overwintering Tree form lavender
My inlaws gave my wife a lavender 'tree' for mother's...
Sherwood Botsford
Rhubarb seed
I am looking for seed or plants of the ornamental Atrosanguinium/Atorpurporeum...
Garlicking
Need to buy a red leaf dwarf japanese maple asap
I need to know if it's possible and where I can order...
goudanuf4u
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™