Foxgloves in MB(?)

northspruce(z3a MB CDA)April 18, 2005

I have tried to grow foxgloves (digitalis x mertonensis) a few times now and was wondering if anyone else around here ever has any success. They produce lush healthy leaves two years in a row and never a single flower. Of course nothing after the 2nd year as they are biennials, and no flowers = no self-seeding so I keep buying new ones. I had them in part shade. Should I try them in full sun? Or am I wasting my time? Is there a better species or hybrid I should try? They are one of my favourites but I am about to give up.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abgardeneer(Z3, Calgary)

You should be able to grow Digitalis grandiflora (also called ambigua) and lutea without any problems. Both are cold-zone hardy, reliable, long-lived perennials.

Bookmark   April 19, 2005 at 12:29AM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for either of those.

Bookmark   April 19, 2005 at 10:54AM
leo_prairie_view(2B Manitoba)

Digitalis grandiflora does very well for us in a very exposed location. If you canÂt find plants it is very easy from seed, it also reseeds itself nicely once it is extablished. There is also a Skinner hybrid of it called, of course "Dropmore", which is grown extensively in Wasagaming. The only place that I know of that carries it is Prairie Gardener Greenhouse in Russell.
Leo

Bookmark   April 20, 2005 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
Hansa Rose Shrub
I have just recently found this shrub, which is a Hansa...
Sweety2002
overwintering potted trees & seedlings
I have a lot of small volunteer trees from bad spots...
thelonerider1
Blue Delphinium Reverting to White
I planted a 'Blue Butterfly' delphinium last year and...
Amanda33
Something is eating my Basil
This was hapenning in my previous garden. I would bring...
magan
Horsetail
I have a major infestation of horsetail in one of my...
AshtonGardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™