Crazy Calgary climate

nadia_(Canada)May 24, 2007

So of course two weeks ago I planted a begonia, a geranium, mint, 3 bleeding hearts and ten other flowering plants during the most recent "hot" spell in Calgary when the temps were around the early 20s mark.

Naturally, tonight, the forecast calls for upto 4 cm of snow. Much to the amusement (I am sure) of my neighbours, I ran out in my pjs and slippers to cover up the poor plants. After having run out of burlap and tarp, I had to resort to inverted Turkish coffee cups (they're just the right size for the small seedlings that were just beginning to sprout), and three large, plastic, transparent containers.

I was warned by a friend NOT to plant anything outside until after the last long weekend of May. Alas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

Hopefully any damage to plants will be minimal. I read that most trees, shrubs and perennials tolerate those wet snowfalls but not sure about annuals.

As for planting things out on the Victoria day long weekend (last weekend), I guess it's a general guideline. Some years you may be okay planting sooner, other years in early June you can get a frost. I took holidays this week to plant things in the yard but haven't got many things planting due to the rain and cool temps. Theres a risk of frost tonight, but I'll just gather my planted pots together and cover them.

glen

Bookmark   May 24, 2007 at 5:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aprilwine(z3 Alta)

Nadia, you may want to stock up on covering material for your plants which is not plastic. Plastic does not have much insulating value, although it does keep the weight of the wet snow off the plants. Fortunately this recent dump of wet snow did not include freezing temperatures.

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 12:52PM
More Discussions
yellow magnolia tree
Is it to late to move a small magnolia tree that is...
diane_v_44
Upper Michigan Gardening
I am looking for help from anyone who lives in upper...
mtzone4
Shrub Recommendations/Photos for Zone 2-3
Having recently moved to an acreage in Grande Prairie...
Leandra7
~HQ!>~W-atch 2 Broke Girls Season 4 Episode 16 O-nline~![1080HD]!~
~HQ!>~Watch 2 Broke Girls Season 4 Episode 16 Online~![1080HD]!~ ~HQ!>~Watch...
Ricky Dawnson
Heirloom Plant & Herb Sale...especially for midwest gardeners
Saturday, May 23 9 AM-Noon Concordia University, 12800...
jeannelmueller
Sponsored Products
Solid Bronze House Numbers
Signature Hardware
Arktura | PAC Side Table
YLiving.com
simplehuman Yellowfly Sensor Trash Can
$275.00 | FRONTGATE
Synthesis Giclee 16" Wide Semi-Flush Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Dayton Garnet Red Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Artemis Ceiling Fan with Light by Minka Aire Fans
$549.95 | Lumens
Mission You Glossy Bronze Four Light Outdoor Wall Mount w/ Hand Pressed Recycled
$449.00 | Bellacor
Pig Fruit Bowl
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™