My Lilies are in Jail

cherylebMay 21, 2007

I bought some beautiful lilies from the Lily Nook two years ago and the cute little bunny rabbies chomped them off at the ground every time they grew more than three inches. A few of them managed to survive and come back this spring so I decided to cage them. I bought plastic flexible plastic fencing at Home Depot in a roll and used twist ties to make it into circles and then staked them around the lilies with those little bamboo pieces.

Is there a height that my lilies will be safe at without the cage or am I stuck with plastic tubes in my garden all summer?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marricgardens

We live out in the country and have a large rabbit population. So far I have not lost any lilies to rabbits, they seem to prefer my roses. My neighbours bought some of that plastic fencing and found out that the small rabbits can get in thru the holes. I have never had them go at my lilies but I have had them eat shrubs. What we did was use chicken wire and make cages about 4' high. We found that the large rabbits could lean on the cage and bend it so we bought some other fence wire that has small holes but it is sturdier. Between the cages and my 2 Aussies, I think we are winning out. Marg

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 4:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tyhawk(5)

Deerout sells repelents that really work and dont stink like liquid fence does. They have a rodent version too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deerout.com

Bookmark   May 25, 2007 at 8:39AM
More Discussions
delphiniums
Can someone tell me where the best place in Canada...
marricgardens
Black walnut tree
Hi, I am having a blackwalnut tree cut down, and the...
joy4so
suggestions for buying online clematis
I am looking for Canadian sites to search/buy clematis...
bloomorelse
Something killing my million bells!
They were flourishing and beautiful. Now there's some...
JJcanuck
dieffenbachia flowering
Hello there. My dieffenbachia is about five years old...
Winnie12
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™