shaping/hedging strawberry trees?

anita9(8 Seattle)June 14, 2012

I moved into a house where someone has planted three strawberry trees, each about two feet out from the living room windows. They're about 15' tall now and growing fast, and smooshed up against the windows completely blocking the light. It's a townhouse so the front windows are the only light. If I used hedge trimmers to take off the top 5', would that look horrible? They are still pretty thickly leafed in the middle. I don't want to cut them down completely because I like the privacy. They are just much too tall of a choice.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

Instead of treating them like a hedge, why don't you think of them as trees? Open up the smaller branches in front of the windows so you can see out as much or little as you want. Whacking them off at just below the window doesn't seem right to me.
Mike

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 12:57AM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Yes, remember that anywhere you flat-top them they will immediately begin growing back up into the space they previously occupied.

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 1:52AM
reg_pnw7(WA 7, sunset 4)

You can prune and shape strawberry trees any way you like, they are very amenable to pruning. The above posters are both right. You can cut off the tops, but the plants will resprout with multiple branches at every cut and regrow. Thinning and shaping them sounds like a good option.

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 10:21AM
More Discussions
Portland Yard Garden & Patio Show
Did anyone here ever attend that show and could give...
enith
Re:Anyone growing citrus in PNW
Hi everyone, I have an indoor tangerine plant for 4-5...
sweetflowers
Is it time to prune?
With the warm winter we are having, everything seems...
duncandotty
OK to plant garlic in February in Portland, OR?
Would it make sense to plant garlic in February in...
LanaRoma
Growing Loquats in the PNW
I am posting this forum as I have not found a thread...
chitti
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™