new garden - tree/shrub suggestions?

littlegardenbug(z3 Alberta)May 17, 2005

Hi All,

I'm new - just joined!

I'm renting a house in Edmonton, AB, and the landlady just decided to convert the gravel parking spot in the alley to a full garden. I'm thrilled - the back yard will triple in size to be about 10m(33')x20m(66').

My question is... what are some good shrubs to plant?

The garden is south facing, and will have a 6' fence around it (landlady's decision). The gravel parking spot is being converted by a truckload of topsoil being spread on top (already delivered). Not the best way, but currently the only way! Digging through the gravel is really tough (I've tried), but the guy is coming with a post hole digger tomorrow so if I know where I want to put shrubs I can get the holes dug through to soil underneath (I know it's there, it's just hard to get to!). The landlady wants to put in an apple tree. Any ideas of what kinds grow best here, that are tasty, and cooking/eating variety?

Also, I'm mostly into having native plants if possible. I was thinking of putting a chokecherry (there's one out front that's beautiful) and a serviceberry. Oh, and I have a bunch of raspberries that I was going to put along the back fence.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

Have you considered growing an Evans Cherry? It was developed in Edmonton. It is a tart edible cherry. It can be grow as a bush or a tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Exploring Not Quite Cherries

Bookmark   May 23, 2005 at 3:22AM
littlegardenbug(z3 Alberta)

Oooh that sounds good! Maybe I'll try that! How fast do they grow?

-penny

Bookmark   May 23, 2005 at 1:57PM
abgardeneer(Z3, Calgary)

They grow very fast, and form a low-headed, ~8', single-trunked tree. Ours is blooming as we speak. Like most prunus, they do sucker.

Bookmark   May 23, 2005 at 2:22PM
Sue_in_NYC

You need a lilac. The whole town is scented with them this week.

:)

Bookmark   May 23, 2005 at 6:47PM
Pink_Petunia(3a Cnd)

I agree about the Evans Cherry and spireas are nice to have for a compact shrub, can't remember the name...I've had mine for well over 7 yrs and it's never grown past 2 1/2 ft x 2 ft....produced beautiful rose colored flowers.

Bookmark   May 24, 2005 at 5:05PM
More Discussions
Upper Michigan Gardening
I am looking for help from anyone who lives in upper...
MTZone4
Blue Delphinium Reverting to White
I planted a 'Blue Butterfly' delphinium last year and...
Amanda33
suggestions for buying online clematis
I am looking for Canadian sites to search/buy clematis...
bloomorelse
Horsetail
I have a major infestation of horsetail in one of my...
ashtongardener
Something killing my million bells!
They were flourishing and beautiful. Now there's some...
JJcanuck
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™