Cloning Trees/Plants with Lee Valley Rooter Pot?

Daliah(zone 5)May 9, 2004

Cloning Trees/Plants with Lee Valley Rooter Pot?

Does anyone have the Lee Valley Rooter Pot that they have advertised in their catalogue? If you buy it with the liquid root stimulator it says you can clone most trees and shrubs. Here is a quote I got:

"The rooter pot system makes it easy to clone trees, shrubs and vines in a short time. In just eight weeks you can produce a brand new plant of a size that would take three years from seed or a cutting. It works on an old system of propagation called air layering... It has been tested on the following plants: rose, apple, maple, cherry, azalea, rhododendron, honeysuckle, wisteria, bay, hibiscus, oleander, viburnum, gardenia..." and more.

Does anyone have this and if so, how has it worked for you? Does it have a high success rate? Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,

Daliah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
euka(ottawa (zone 4))

I bought those too, I have yet to try them, so I'm interested to know if anyone has had success as well. I'm going to use them in the house too on some of my rubber plants

Bookmark   May 12, 2004 at 3:29PM
zucchini(5a ONT)

I wanna know too...thinking of buying one as well..looks too goog to be be true?martha/zucchn

Bookmark   May 13, 2004 at 9:31PM
cailinriley(z3 Calgary AB)

Refer to the replies in the Gardening in Canada forum--same topic.

Bookmark   May 14, 2004 at 1:53AM
avalonON(z5 ON Canada)

I tried that system and it was a complete failure. Followed the instructions carefully using an apple tree branch. When I checked it, I found white fungus at the peeled area of the branch and it was crawling with insects. I cleaned it and closed it up again, but the same thing happened. It never developed roots. Maybe others will have better luck!

Bookmark   August 31, 2004 at 9:22AM
bonsai_audge

You don't really need the "Rooter Pot." Air layering is a common propagation technique for bonsai, and most of the time they use a simple plastic bag with the same results. Unless the price is extremely good, I wouldn't get it.

-Audric

Bookmark   September 1, 2004 at 10:55AM
jerome69(6)

i have one and cloned a few bushes(easy) and a few trees (a little harder). i did this as a novelty. i found buying or digging up another is just as easy.it is more like being able to say i cloned that tree or bush.

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 6:55AM
More Discussions
Calling Idaho Gardeners! Help!
I'm working on a book which takes place in central...
HollyKline
Shrub Recommendations/Photos for Zone 2-3
Having recently moved to an acreage in Grande Prairie...
Leandra7
Hansa Rose Shrub
I have just recently found this shrub, which is a Hansa...
Sweety2002
Black walnut tree
Hi, I am having a blackwalnut tree cut down, and the...
joy4so
dieffenbachia flowering
Hello there. My dieffenbachia is about five years old...
Winnie12
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™