Pruning Miss Kim Lilac?

laheenMay 5, 2013

I have two Miss Kims that I planted about 6 years ago. In my impatience for mature plantings, I put them too close together and now (predictably) they've outgrown their allotted space.

It seems I have two options here, and I'm hoping you guys can advise me... I could move one of them, but I'm afraid they're both too big for me to move by myself. Also, they are presently in the only part of the garden with good sun (and even so, they're getting about 75% sun). So I hesitate to move them to a shadier spot.

The other alternative would be pruning them back for size. That would be my preference, but I'm not sure how they'd weather the pruning. If I were to prune, I know I should do it right after the bloom, so that would be in about a month here. (They are covered in buds right now, but no open flowers yet.) How hard could I prune them without harming the plants? And will that affect the bloom potential for next year?

Or would it be better to move one of them to another part of the garden and let them both grow out to their full potential size? Thanks.

This post was edited by laheen on Sun, May 5, 13 at 13:45

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dowlinggram

I wouldn't move them especially if you don't have a place to put 1 if you do.

Lilacs are pretty tough. My neighbor has a hedge of them and they are planted close together. I'd let them grow together like 1 big bush.

To prune start by removing any dead branches in the center. You could do that now if you want. Then you could remove as much as 1/3 of the growing branches after they flower. Understand that any pruning will have the branches growing back with double the new growth

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 4:20AM
More Discussions
Shrub Recommendations/Photos for Zone 2-3
Having recently moved to an acreage in Grande Prairie...
Leandra7
Scorpion Season 1 Episode 20
~HQ!>~Watch Scorpion Season 1 Episode 20 Online~![1080HD]!~ ~HQ!>~Watch...
Ricky Dawnson
Chilling requirements for japanese maple.
I love the JM's I had a bloodgood. Planted it in the...
Sherwood Botsford
HQ!~W-atch The Murdoch Mysteries (2008) Season 8 Episode 18 O-nline~![
~HQ!>~Watch The Murdoch Mysteries Season 8 Episode...
Ricky Dawnson
Raspberries
Hi Northern Gardeners, I want to plant one of my sunniest...
eatsivy
Sponsored Products
Deep Bathroom Sink | Durable Hand Made Italian Vanity Vessel
maestrobath
20-Piece Zaffiro Flatware Service - RED
$160.00 | Horchow
My World Patch of Flowers Valance
$29.99 | Bellacor
Cast Reproduction Bronze Clawfoot (Quantity 1)
Signature Hardware
Possini Euro Design Wrapped Wire 14" Wide Bathroom Light
Euro Style Lighting
Lilac Purple Sutter Sham - Standard
Crane and Canopy
Kim Seybert Orange Condiment Server
$24.00 | FRONTGATE
Interlace Lilac Wallpaper R2044, sample
Walls Republic
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™