Evergreen Shrubs for Western Exposure

BrandyWine99(6A)May 30, 2012

Hello, everyone!

I am looking to plant some evergreen shrubs as foundational plants. I have a Western exposure with full sun. In the past, other perennials have done well here, such as a firebush which was very overgrown when we moved here. I want a good shrub for privacy and to block the sun on that side of the house, which is brutal. I want plants that grow quickly to at least 10 ft. I love azaleas and rhododendrons, but I assume that they want more shade, and most ones I locate by searching on the web do not get as large as I want (sun-loving dwarf-types that stop at about 4 ft.). I was thinking also of Rose of Sharon, but it is deciduous here, I believe, and I would like year-round foliage. I would also like a flowering shrub if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions? :)

Thanks so much!

~~Brandy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

Definitely NOT rhododendrons or azaleas in that exposure. You might consider Schipka Cherry Laurel (Prunus laurocerasus). I believe it gets to 6-8 feet tall and wide, so you'll have to plant away from the house. It does flower (flowers do attract bees if that is a concern). It's a difficult exposure though. Used to live in a brick house and by late afternoon it was hotter than h@// . Have boxwood and bay laurel now on the current western side but the house is white so not as hot. Good luck!

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 8:21AM
More Discussions
do you know what plant this is?
I saw this in the woods. What is it please?
Barb.ADK8
dieffenbachia flowering
Hello there. My dieffenbachia is about five years old...
Winnie12
Rhubarb seed
I am looking for seed or plants of the ornamental Atrosanguinium/Atorpurporeum...
Garlicking
overwintering potted trees & seedlings
I have a lot of small volunteer trees from bad spots...
thelonerider1
suggestions for buying online clematis
I am looking for Canadian sites to search/buy clematis...
bloomorelse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™