Peppers, eggplants and melons

vannessmonster(Ontario)May 29, 2005

We keep trying to grow these but only get tiny useless fruits.

I guess our season is just too short. Any suggestions for getting them to set more and bigger fruits?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
staggart(z4 S.E. ID)

I've had some success with using red plastic. This year, I'm going a step further --- I'm starting the plants in Wallowaters. These are plastic tubes in a circle. You feel them with water. They absorb heat during the day and radiate it at night. You can plant warm weather crops 4-6 weeks before your last frost date.

I've now got peppers that are huge and setting fruits. And, my tomatoes are setting fruit. And, my squash are starting to flower. I'm going to leave the Wallowaters on throughout the season.

Anyway, my thoughts.

Bookmark   May 30, 2005 at 10:14PM
Pink_Petunia(3a Cnd)

I use those in my garden also, we call them Kozy Koats here. I can get a head start for my melons and zucchini and even cukes. My neighbours couldn't figure out why I had early cucumbers every year, now the secret is out.

Bookmark   May 31, 2005 at 3:14PM
dianasan(z5a Mtl)

We're in Zone 5 and our secret is planting peppers and eggplant in white 5-gallon buckets. We get a very good harvest of large, ripe fruit either because the roots are more confined in the buckets causing the plant to bloom and fruit earlier, or because the soil in the buckets is exposed to the heat from the sun on all sides.

We use a mix of equal parts soil and composted manure and fertilize regularly during the growing season.

Bookmark   June 1, 2005 at 8:07AM
More Discussions
do you know what plant this is?
I saw this in the woods. What is it please?
Barb.ADK8
Hansa Rose Shrub
I have just recently found this shrub, which is a Hansa...
Sweety2002
Elderberries Eaten
Every year I lose most my elderberries to something....
dawny2u2
Chilling requirements for japanese maple.
I love the JM's I had a bloodgood. Planted it in the...
Sherwood Botsford
Tree for Montana
I am interested in what kind of a ornamental tree would...
merrygardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™