Help w/yellow lilac

maimieMay 23, 2013

My friend planted a yellow lilac 5-6 yrs. ago & while it is flourishing in terms of greenery it has never bloomed. It gets about 4-6 hrs of sun. Can anyone suggest anything? Thank you in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jel48(Z4 Michigan)

I was, just earlier this week, looking up fertilization recommendations for several plants that I have, including lilacs. We have several 2-4 years old, that have not bloomed yet so that is one thing that interested me.

Here is the information I found.

Use a low-nitrogen, high phosphorus fertilizer, such as a 5-10-10 or 5 -10-5 blend, around the drip line of the shrub in early spring. Use the least recommended amount from the label of the fertilzer. Till into 1-2 inches depth. Water immediately. Apply only after the old flowers have dried up.

Otherwise, I also heard 1 cup of epsom salts around the drip line once or twice a year, for lots of blooms.

OR, 1 gal water plus 2 oz Epsom salts and pour on lilacs when they are dormant (late fall to early spring).

Mulch around base to keep soil moist and cool.

Hope this helps!

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debplus3(z4MN)

Sometimes when a lilac doesn't bloom and it is getting enough sun it means it is planted too deep. I have known more than one person who has dug out and lifted their non-blooming lilac slightly higher than it was planted before and the next year it bloomed. This is hard to do, however, if your lilac is large.
Deb

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
Something is eating my Basil
This was hapenning in my previous garden. I would bring...
magan
Upper Michigan Gardening
I am looking for help from anyone who lives in upper...
MTZone4
yellow magnoila tree
I have a small five year old yellow magnolia that I...
diane_v_44
Blue Delphinium Reverting to White
I planted a 'Blue Butterfly' delphinium last year and...
Amanda33
Hansa Rose Shrub
I have just recently found this shrub, which is a Hansa...
Sweety2002
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™