Can a Northfork Pine survive outside?

classycatFebruary 11, 2013

I have a small Northfork Pine in a pot that I got around Christmas. Can they survive the Oklahoma year round weather, and if so - when is the best time to move them outside?

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Unfortunately, the Norfolk Pie is not hardy here in our zone. They are only hardy to zones 10-11, being native to a small island in the South Pacific. In their native habitat they can reach heights of 200'. Wow!

They have an interesting history, and I'm attaching information regarding this lovely houseplant.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Araucaria heterophylla or Norfolk Pine

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 7:47PM
mulberryknob

They survive outside in Southern California. I saw a very large one--about 2 feet in diameter--in Pasadena when I lived there. It never occured to me at the time that it would be grown as a houseplant, but my daughter started with one a foot tall and now it is over 5 feet. What do people do with them when they outgrow the living room ceiling?

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 9:44PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Dorothy, lol, I don't know - build another story onto their house? These pines that really aren't pines at all, can be hardy in South Florida and warmer zones of California and grow very, very tall.

Many of our tropical houseplants grow much larger in their native landscapes. Split-leaf philodendrons, for example, can grow 70' up a tree in its native habitat. They are big houseplants, for sure, but get even bigger where they are allowed to do their own thing, which is climb.

Susan

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 10:30PM
pamchesbay

Classy - view your Norfolk Island Pine as a houseplant. You can put it outside in late spring and summer but bring it back inside before winter. Cold weather will kill it.

Dorothy - I've seen huge ones in southern Florida - so big and dramatic, I didn't recognize them as Norfolk Island Pines. Southern CA and southern FL = no freeze zones.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 10:32PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

I bet they are a sight to see! I've been to Florida on several occasions, but before I became interested in anything other than ornamental Begonias (all the types other than the bedding varieties).

They are very pretty houseplants IMHO!

Susan

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 7:41AM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Dorothy, I suppose they either have to give them to someone with a taller ceiling height indoors---or top them, although I think that would spoil their shape.

Dawn

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 11:24AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Classy they are an easy houseplant because I had one for years until it took up too much space. I kill all houseplants except succulents. They not only get tall but they get wide and that was my problem with the plant.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 7:12PM
More Discussions
What happens to tomatoes that are stunted as seedlings?
Because I seem to have a lot of them. I'm not panicked...
chickencoupe
earthworm compost
Does anybody know of a place in Oklahoma where I can...
sophie
pine shavings yes or no
I have access to alot of pine shavings/bedding from...
luvncannin
My Onions Are IN, now about snakes...
Thank you, Ms Dawn. Sorry for the late reply to your...
luvabasil1
Question on my potatoes
I planted the first week of April. They're strong and...
chickencoupe
Sponsored Products
Brella Bronze One-Light Halogen Wall Sconce with Mocha Glass
$166.50 | Bellacor
Arteriors Home - Fleming Bookends Set of 2 - 2542
Great Furniture Deal
Summerland Key Middle Chair
Grandin Road
Cheresse King Bed - ANTIQUE WHITE
$1,199.00 | Horchow
House of Troy Newport Pewter Finish 6-Way Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus