wisteria not blooming well

hollylhMay 24, 2007

We have a fairly old wisteria vine on a pergola that has always done well...usually around Mother's Day it is covered with blossoms, then they drop and the leaves appear. This year it didn't bloom nearly as much and the leaves came out simultaneously...I didn't prune it beyond the haircut every now and then last summer when it was getting a little too enthusiastic. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it because of our weird hot/cold winter? (I have noticed some other wisterias locally doing fine.) thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

I think it could very definitely be because of the wierd winter we had. My rhodo has not performed well this year, but last year was spectacular! Also I believe that you should only prune right after the bloom. It blooms on old wood, so if you have prunes several times, you may have cut off the potential blooms.

Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 9:30PM
birdsnblooms

Holly, how old is your Wisteria, and do you fertilize? Mine is over 5 years old, though I have to admit it's never been fertilized..How do I get mine to bloom? Thanks, Toni

Bookmark   June 7, 2007 at 5:58PM
fickle_freckle

I bought a Wisteria 17 years ago and have done all the pruning recommended, religiously, but never had a single bloom! Two years ago I bought a second Wisteria, this time in bloom, (white), and planted it in my garden. Guess what? It didn't bloom since. What's the answer to getting both to bloom, or, why didn't the second one, which was blooming in the container when bought, refuse to bloom anymore? Jeff.

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 6:20PM
More Discussions
DESPERATELY Seekig Bakeapple/Cloudberry
Hello, I do not live in Canada; please forgive my forum...
Robin282
help lilacs near garden
Hi, I am planning to do a lilac hedgerow north side...
Meuhey
do you know what plant this is?
I saw this in the woods. What is it please?
Barb.ADK8
yellow magnolia tree
Is it to late to move a small magnolia tree that is...
diane_v_44
Hansa Rose Shrub
I have just recently found this shrub, which is a Hansa...
Sweety2002
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™