cut back montauk daisies now?

still_lynnskiJune 26, 2010

I received a terrible looking overgrown mess at a local swap at the end of April. Divided, cut them back to nothing, and planted smallish pieces. Now the foliage is gorgeous--bushy and tight! I read that I should be cutting them back in June, but as we head to the final days of June, I'm feeling some trepidation. How hard should I cut them back now?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sue36(Z5 Maine)

I cut them back hard around mid May and then late June to the first week of July.

Bookmark   June 27, 2010 at 9:44PM
still_lynnski

How hard do you cut them back at this time of year? Thanks!

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 10:13AM
sue36(Z5 Maine)

I probably cut 8-12" off previously and will cut only about 3" off now since they still seem tidy. If you don't cut them back they will likely turn into floppy monsters. The cuttings can be rooted, btw. I've rotten some just by sticking the pieces in the ground.

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 10:38AM
arbo_retum(z5 ,WinchstrMA)

sue, you unintentionally just gave me a big chuckle. look at your last sentence!(of course, i've done that many times too!)

thanks for the timely advice; i just whacked my 3 stalks(!) today; i'll run out tomorrow and see if i can rescue/ root the pieces.like sedum eh?
best,
mindy

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 3:13AM
diggingthedirt

Mine are monsters, whether I cut them back or not - just floppier if not cut back.

They do seed all over the place, besides spreading by runners, and they won't take no for an answer when they pop up between the bricks in a nearby seating area. Every year I think I'll get rid of them and redo this bed, at the top of a small stone retaining wall, but, since they look sorta cute and benign in the spring, I never actually get around to it. Then they redeem themselves again in the fall - my annual summertime thoughts of removing them are really hopeless!

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
Landscape Design Council Awards at Boston Flower & Garden Show
I received a press release from Frances Wheeler regarding...
bostongardens
Mason Bee House - - Where to position?
I could go to the Bee Forum, but thought I would ask...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Historic winter of 2014-2015---Damage report
I thought we could start a thread to outline the casualties...
rockman50
No spray cherry, apple, and pear tree recommendations?
I have larger area of my yard, where at some point...
agurkas
unheated greenhouse
Hi All!!! I live in Central Mass., my wonderful kids...
Sami56
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™