Blueberries??Where can I find them??

melissa_mumof4June 19, 2007

Hi everyone,

I have spent countless hours driving down back roads and countless amounts of gas money(much to hubbys despair) looking for some blueberry bushes(either bush or tall) where I am,

Could someone tell me a good location??? I have four kids and would love to pick some to store for winter use ???

I live just outside of Sturgeon Falls, and am not afraid to drive a ways to get these.

Thanks in advance,

Melissa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Judy_B_ON(Ontario 5B)

They aren't ripe for picking until end of July/mid August. You will need permission of the landowner to pick unless you are sure it is crown land, not Indian land, provincial or national park land or protected land.

Usually found on dry, rocky, granite based soils in full sun. Most blueberries in Ontario will be low bush. Rocky pink granite outcrop areas near lake or rivershore with juniper growing nearby would be good places to look. If you are driving near forested areas, much less likely to find them, they don't grow in good, deep soil nor in forests.

You are near the French River; have you ever taken out a canoe on any of the canoe routes? Should be blueberries somewhere along them.

Bookmark   June 19, 2007 at 1:53PM
More Discussions
overwintering potted trees & seedlings
I have a lot of small volunteer trees from bad spots...
thelonerider1
Chilling requirements for japanese maple.
I love the JM's I had a bloodgood. Planted it in the...
Sherwood Botsford
Something killing my million bells!
They were flourishing and beautiful. Now there's some...
JJcanuck
Calling Idaho Gardeners! Help!
I'm working on a book which takes place in central...
HollyKline
Hansa Rose Shrub
I have just recently found this shrub, which is a Hansa...
Sweety2002
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™