roses and delphiniums or clematis

appletreasure(zn 3)June 23, 2005

I would like to plant clematis and delphiniums against a fence and then plant a shrub rose in front of them.

I know clematis like cold feet, I don't know the name of the variety I have, I just know it is very hardy with a yellow flower.

Does anyone see a problem with this planting idea?

The fence is facing South west so will be quite warm, I live in zone 3.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

Do you possibly have clematis tangutica? One variety of it is called 'radar love' and it gets yellow bell shaped flowers. If so, I find the vine very hardy, mine survives in poor soil growing up my carport post.

I don't see a problem with your idea. Yes, clematis like cool feet but the shrub rose will shade the ground a bit around the base of the clematis, or you can plant annuals until the rose spreads out a bit. Even a lawn ornamental placed in the right spot can shade the ground, or some mulch.

I read that yes, clematis like "cool feet" but what they really like is adequate moisture, which is usually found in shady areas. So, I guess just be sure to water regularly if the area dries out from the intense sun.

Do you already have delphinium? If you want a smaller type of delphinium try the 'fountain' series, they grow 30 to 36 inches tall. Not sure, but that might make them less prone to flopping over (other delphiniums get 4 or 5 feet high.)

Good Luck,

Glen

Bookmark   June 23, 2005 at 1:13PM
shapiro(5a Ontario)

About delphiniums "flopping" - I used to drive myself crazy each spring, putting bamboo stakes around my delphiniums and then wrapping string around each to prevent flopping Since I have a "row" of delphiniums about 9 feet long, this was a lengthy process. Then I had the idea to place a TALL tomato cage around each plant. Problem solved! The cages have been there for about 5 or 6 years now, I never remove them - they are a permanent fixture. Early spring, I can thin out the spikes, if needed, and within a few weeks, the plants grow up through the wires and the cages disappear completely. Very rarely do I get a branch flopping near the top and if the occasional spike grows outside the cage, I use that wonderful stuff, velcro plant ties, to hook that spike up to the cage. Delphinium without the bother!

Bookmark   June 23, 2005 at 6:15PM
Pink_Petunia(3a Cnd)

I have a very hardy yellow bell shaped clematis and it's just called "golden clematis". It grows on the old wood year after year. I find it needs a real good prune each year as it's very vigorous.

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 11:45AM
clairabelle(z4 Quebec)

I have a Jackmanii growing up a trellis behind several delphiniums and they work very well together... especially when in bloom! :)

Bookmark   July 5, 2005 at 2:37PM
anemone(4 & 5)

Hi Shapiro,

Could you please describe your tall tomato cages... the tall ones I've seen are a lot wider too than the regular ones.... think they might be too wide for delphiniums tho.

I've had a lovely clump of delphiniums which I started from seed years ago, and I would love to not have to go through all the work of tying them up.

Thanks so much in advance.

Bookmark   July 14, 2005 at 9:36PM
More Discussions
False Sunflower
I am always impressed with the knowledge on this site,...
dawny2u2
Need to buy a red leaf dwarf japanese maple asap
I need to know if it's possible and where I can order...
goudanuf4u
blueberries
blueberries
rosebacopa2
suggestions for buying online clematis
I am looking for Canadian sites to search/buy clematis...
bloomorelse
Tree for Montana
I am interested in what kind of a ornamental tree would...
merrygardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™