Pittosporum Parvilimbum

chicamarieJuly 15, 2009

So I have this beautiful small "tree"/shrub, which I can't locate a photo of on the web because it seems to be a very recent variety of Pittosporum. Does anyone know what it needs and wants? I need to move it from its current location because it's getting too big. It gets lots of sun right now in well-composted soil, but I am thinking about moving it to my parking strip which is all sun, all the time. I want to move it now since the weather here in PDX isn't supposed to be too scorching for a while. And my wisteria is trying to eat it.

Thanks!

Christy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ian_wa(Sequim)

Wow, I've never heard of that one before. I had to google it. So it's from China. China has a summer monsoon season. Some Chinese plants are very drought tolerant for us, but most of them really aren't - they prefer lots of summer water, and usually moisture-retentive soil - and one doesn't want to assume something about a new plant until it has been tested more extensively under a variety of conditions. So I guess my advice is, if you move it into a hot sunny spot, just keep it really well watered and mulched! And we'll probably have more hot weather later - if you could wait a couple months to move it, that might be safer.

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 2:37AM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Cut back the wisteria, move the shrub in fall. If hardiness might be questionable, move in spring. Avoid moving when there is much soft new growth.

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 10:33AM
PRO
George Three LLC

also, i would wait till friday night. looking at the forecast, its high 80's low 90's till saturday.

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 10:40AM
albertine(z5b Idaho)

I have two of them in my parking strip. They made it through last winter with flying colors (Pittosporum garnettii died back to a foot high, Wheeler's Dwarf was fine) and bloomed well this spring, wonderfully fragrant and wafting. I remember a little tip damage in the first years when they were young. I'm treating them as sheared hedge shapes. I also have a Pittosporum heterophyllum out there that is doing as well, although it wants to be a lot larger than the narrow strip it's on. I watered for the first couple years, last and this year they aren't getting watered and they are fine. I am facing west, so hot in the afternoon.

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 11:41AM
chicamarie

Thanks for all the feedback.

Albertine - do you have a picture of what yours look like? Mine has so much space between the branches that I'm having difficulty imagining it pruned, plus, it has a nice natural woodsy shape at the moment.

Again, thanks! And I think I will just tame the wisteria and wait a couple of months.

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 12:21PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Looks familiar, I think I've seen it at a local outlet or two. Did you buy it at a garden center?

Here is a link that might be useful: JC Raulston Arboretum - Photograph Colleciton

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 10:25AM
albertine(z5b Idaho)

I don't have a photo, but I can say that they started out quite leggy. I have no experience with hedge culture - I just started pruning them into the perimeter of the shape I wanted, and now in their 4th year they are pretty filled in. The heterophyllum filled in sooner.

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 12:24PM
More Discussions
What is good lilac to grow in North Seattle area?
My mom died last week. She liked smell of lilac flower. My...
briergardener_gw
Growing Loquats in the PNW
I am posting this forum as I have not found a thread...
chitti
Is it time to prune?
With the warm winter we are having, everything seems...
duncandotty
Anyone growing Tiger Eye Sumac?
Rhus typhina ÂBailtigerÂ. I'm thinking that this...
dottyinduncan
evergreens for by gate
I have a couple of Columnar Dwarf Siberian Dogwood...
hallerlake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™