Useless Rain Barrels?

mooserider(8)June 22, 2013

I can't find a forum specific to this subject, so I put it here.

Anyhow, I spent a lot of time putting in four rain barrels, and they're working beautifully. I have 200+ gallons of water, but there's a problem I can't seem to figure out and was hoping someone would have some good advice.

The problem is, how do I get the water to the plants? I guess I didn't think that part out before I set up the barrels. According to the people at the local nursery, I can't use a soaker hose as there's no real pressure.

Using a water can is just absurd... it would take me three hours to do that.

To be honest, I like using my sprayer (from the house's water) to water everything, I know it's not so efficient, but I really enjoy it. So with a soaker hose I would lose that. So what I really want, is a pump that would kick on automatically when I use a sprayer. But I've looked all over and can't seem to find such a thing.

So my question is, how do you use your rain water? How do you get it from the barrels to the plants.

Thanks for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dowlinggram

I have a child's wagon that I bought at a yard sale that I had fitted with large wheels. It serves a multitude of purposes around my yard--better than a wheelbarrow-- including moving watering cans with rain water. It holds 3 watering cans which I fill at the rain barrels and wheel to where I want to water. It is just as nice as watering with a hose and you are not dragging that heavy hose behind you

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 6:09PM
jel48(Z4 Michigan)

There are pumps available for sale. I linked one site that I found below. Otherwise just go on google and search for the three words: rain barrel pump

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumps to use with rain barrels

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 2:02PM
dog_wood_2010(7)

Hi, did you ever think of installing a spigot? Let gravity do the job. You can pick up a spigot from the plumbing section of most box stores. They can be easily installed into the bottom of each rain barrel and you can attach your sprayer hose to it.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 4:09PM
More Discussions
Shrub Recommendations/Photos for Zone 2-3
Having recently moved to an acreage in Grande Prairie...
Leandra7
~HQ!>~W-atch Fast & Furious 7 O-nline~![1080HD]!~
~HQ!>~Watch Fast & Furious 7 Online~![1080HD]!~ ~HQ!>~Watch...
Ricky Dawnson
Blueberries for zone 3??
I am looking for zone 3 blueberry varieties to grow. Preferably...
rosebacopa2
Need to buy a red leaf dwarf japanese maple asap
I need to know if it's possible and where I can order...
goudanuf4u
Heirloom Plant & Herb Sale...especially for midwest gardeners
Saturday, May 23 9 AM-Noon Concordia University, 12800...
jeannelmueller
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™