tomatoes and rainwater?

Nanny240June 19, 2013

I am a newbie container box gardener and I want to plant tomatoes but everywhere I read about them they stress how tomatoes hate to have their foliage wet. I have an excellent soaker hose network in my container box, but what happens if the tomatoes are exposed to getting soaked by rain? Help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dowlinggram

If your tomatoes get a little rain it won't hurt them if you get a downpour then turn off your soaker hose for a couple of days until the soil dries a bit. Don't let them get too dry though. Tomatoes like a constant moistness but not sopping wet.

My neighbor grows cherry tomatoes in pots. She doesn't have a soaker hose and she puts mulch on top of the soil around the tomatoes. This ensures the tomatoes don't dry out fast but can stay out in the rain.

Now we live in zone 3 with moderate summer temperatures. If you live in a hot zone you will need that soaker hose to keep them moist. You will have weigh your options and decide what works best for you

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 11:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dog_wood_2010(7)

The idea is to keep the foliage as dry as possible to prevent diseases. Can't do much about the rain.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
Elderberries Eaten
Every year I lose most my elderberries to something....
dawny2u2
yellow magnoila tree
I have a small five year old yellow magnolia that I...
diane_v_44
Rhubarb seed
I am looking for seed or plants of the ornamental Atrosanguinium/Atorpurporeum...
Garlicking
Something killing my million bells!
They were flourishing and beautiful. Now there's some...
JJcanuck
dieffenbachia flowering
Hello there. My dieffenbachia is about five years old...
Winnie12
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™