Pin oak problems

pfgoergenJune 19, 2013

I have a 5-6 year-old pin oak that showed no problems until this spring. But now the leaves are brown, shriveled and sparse. It's been very wet, but I noticed the problem quite early in the spring.

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidcalgary29(2b)

Can you post pictures of the soil and crown? Was the soil around the tree disturbed in any way? And is it near a driveway? It's possible that the tree could be suffering from some salt damage.

I hope it's not oak decline. Some of your listed symptoms are consistent with that diagnosis, though. Have you had drought in the past few years?

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 9:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
smivies

Pin Oak (Quercus palustris) is super sensitive to alkaline soils & starts to look chlorotic at pH values above 6.5-7.0. By the time you hit 7.2 to 7.5 pH, they look quite a bit like yours. 7.2 to 7.5 pH is pretty common in areas covered in limestone derived glacial till...that's most of southern Ontario & a lot of northern and western NY. What is your location (city?) and we can give better advice regarding soil pH.

Pin Oak is STILL on our city's urban forestry planting list though there is not a single one in my city that looks decent and only two or three that have made it past 25 yrs old. We have bright yellow spindly Pin Oaks as street trees everywhere.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 4:47PM
More Discussions
Shrub Recommendations/Photos for Zone 2-3
Having recently moved to an acreage in Grande Prairie...
Leandra7
Elderberries Eaten
Every year I lose most my elderberries to something....
dawny2u2
Hansa Rose Shrub
I have just recently found this shrub, which is a Hansa...
Sweety2002
Black walnut tree
Hi, I am having a blackwalnut tree cut down, and the...
joy4so
help lilacs near garden
Hi, I am planning to do a lilac hedgerow north side...
Meuhey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™