accent tree recommendations??

dan0June 4, 2009

Hi,

IÂm looking for an accent plant for the front of a light colored house in Canadian growing zone 5b. It must be wind and ice damage tolerant. Because of the light colored house I was thinking something with red / purple or yellow foliage. House is also two story so maybe a medium to large tree. Any recommendations?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

Maybe some type of ornamental flowering crab with purple leaves? Sorry, I don't know any specific cultivar but I believe there are a few.

Maybe a shubert chokecherry? They have pretty purple leaves as well.

For golden trees maybe a golden catalpa 'aurea'.

There are probably more but these are the few that I know of.

Glen

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 9:01PM
gusolie

Prunus cerasifera 'Newport' gets only 18' tall and 15-20' wide at maturity, and has purple foliage. 'Thundercloud' is about the same.

Although not dark-colored in leaf, many of the deciduous saucer magnolias (Magnolia x soulangiana) look stunning in front or at the corner of white houses. Just make sure you choose a violet-pink blooming cultivar for most effect--such as 'Lennei' or 'Verbanica', 'Alexandrina' or 'Rustica Rubra'.

Crabapples are grand, too. Do ask for a selection that is rust and scab resistant so your tree looks super in summer and fall.

Even if you choose a non-purple leaved accent tree, you can have purple-leaved shrubs to anchor your planting beds around the white house's foundation--sand cherry, leuchothoe, fringeflowers may work, not sure this last one is hardy in zone 5 though.

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 10:41PM
marricgardens

I have a 'Makamik' crab that I love. The foliage is dark and it has gorgeous deep pink flowers in spring, not to mention that the fragrance is awesome! It does have fruit but it really isn't a messy tree. I don't know how tall you want this tree to get but the Makamik grows to about 30-40'high and just as wide, according to Lois Holes book. We've had it 10 years now and it is still only about 15' and rounding out nicely. Marg

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 8:20AM
jetred(3 Mb)

I agree about the Shubert cherry. They grow to about 15 ft.

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
help lilacs near garden
Hi, I am planning to do a lilac hedgerow north side...
Meuhey
DESPERATELY Seekig Bakeapple/Cloudberry
Hello, I do not live in Canada; please forgive my forum...
Robin282
dieffenbachia flowering
Hello there. My dieffenbachia is about five years old...
Winnie12
Calling Idaho Gardeners! Help!
I'm working on a book which takes place in central...
HollyKline
overwintering potted trees & seedlings
I have a lot of small volunteer trees from bad spots...
thelonerider1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™