Paper Wasps

Ratherbgardening(PNW 7 or 8)July 26, 2009

Today I discovered that there is no activity around the nests. I checked them after finding my broccoli chewed up pretty good. I haven't had that happen for years, because the wasps take care of the larvae. I haven't had wormy heads since I found out they went after them. We haven't sprayed any chemicals. The only change was this spring when we emptied the pool to re-level it and it was empty for a few weeks. They do get water from it part of the time. Any thoughts or has anyone else seen a shortage of them? I like having them around and hate to see them gone. It's so strange since they've been nesting around our house all the time we've lived here, about 14 years. Would bats go after them? I think we have one roosting in the rolled up shade under one nesting area. Any thoughts? I've just taken them for granted for years.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Mud daubers? Now that you mention it I have not seen any lately.

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 12:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ratherbgardening(PNW 7 or 8)

No, paper wasps. I did see activity on one small nest yesterday, so hopefully they'll make a comeback. It would've been a chance to paint the house without having to disrupt them, but we weren't ready to do that this year. Oh well! :)

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 12:22PM
More Discussions
What is good lilac to grow in North Seattle area?
My mom died last week. She liked smell of lilac flower. My...
briergardener_gw
Fertilizing flower bulbs (e.g., Daffodils)
I was listening to Ciscoe Morris' gardening radio show...
wynswrld98
Does soil "wear out"?
I have two gardening friends who don't know each other...
dottyinduncan
Shade-loving vine for Portland, OR
I recently moved into a house that doesn't have much...
bburan13
evergreens for by gate
I have a couple of Columnar Dwarf Siberian Dogwood...
hallerlake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™