Hello native returning home

zoo-katie(FL10)July 14, 2013

Hi my name is Katie I am returning home to Vancouver Wa. after almost 10 yrs in south florida, Although my knowledge of NW plants is returning my collection is sadly not, I had to leave alot of my tropicals in Fl, no room in moving van. One plant I missed so much from here was a Gartenmeister fuschia and tuberous begonias, if anyone could help me find starts it would really help me feel at home! I do have some seeds I can trade, what I could salvage is in storage so not sure of condition of plants, plus money is an issue until end of Oct. Thanks for any help and I hope to make the kind of friends here I had on this site in FL.
Katie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

Welcome back; our hardiness zone here has been upgraded to 8b a couple of years ago. East wind can be another gardening factor depending on how close to the Columbia River you are.

There are a handful of Portland-area members active here, and the more numerous Seattle-area members are helpful also.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 11:26PM
zoo-katie(FL10)

Thanks larry gene hoping to find some swap groups did that alot in FL worked at the PB zoo in horticulture was a master gardner in WA before moving, hope to make some gardening connections here :)

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 2:41AM
plantknitter(8)

go to the the exchange forum.
Barb and Don host some plant trades down your way.

Here is a link that might be useful: exchange forum

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 11:22AM
princessgrace79(8 PNW)

I am in Portland and have spent a few years on vegetable gardening but only this year began an interest in ornamentals. I have had a ton of good luck making entire new beds hitting up the Portland craigslist free section. Most people here hate to throw anything away when redoing, and like to PIF. I have gone on many "adventures" with my five year old daughter to dig up people's plants! Its a little quiet now bc of summer but guessing some more good freebies come fall. There are also some great local plant sales at schools and community centers, but those tend to happen in spring.

I'd love more info about any plant swaps you find. I'm in SE PDX and don't tend to venture that far north.....I don't have much to share at this point either except berries.

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 1:01AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If you're interested in exotics take a trip to Cistus nursery on Sauvie Island, near Portland (see their web site).

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 12:39PM
larry_gene

Rare Plant Research south of Oregon City has a lot of tropicals, some can go outside but most require special housing here.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 3:33AM
zoo-katie(FL10)

Thanks Everyone all good advice will keep you all posted on anything I find
Katie

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 3:17PM
PRO
George Three LLC

bump this again this fall. i always have a bunch of plants during the editing phase of the planting season.

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 6:41PM
OregonGrape

Forestfarm has a lot of good stuff available via mail order.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 1:52PM
More Discussions
Raised Beds/seed starts
We have 2 raised beds we put in last year in our front...
FireMidget
Re:Anyone growing citrus in PNW
Hi everyone, I have an indoor tangerine plant for 4-5...
sweetflowers
August Bloomers
We have a family reunion planned for our house in mid...
mcsix
Anyone "wintersowing" tomatoes in the PNW?
I wintersow/spring sow everything else and have for...
nonconformist_nymphette
What seeds r u planting now this early warm spring?
My arugula is up fine but carrots havent germinated...
maroqw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™