Overplanting spring bulbs

LolaNHJune 9, 2011

Hello,

This is my first post to this site, but I have been reading and enjoying for awhile now. I am a beginner gardener and becoming more and more obsessed :-) My question is about what suggestions people have for plants that can be planted over or among my spring bulbs to dress up the appearance of the dying foliage. The bed is full sun, well draining. It has bulbs of pink tulips and purple irises which are beautiful but look too spaced out and now have no flowers. I also don't have a lot of money to spend. Ideally, I was looking for a plant blooming around this time of year with yellow flowers, nicely spreading, maybe 8-16" tall. I am looking forward to hearing your suggestions and thanks for reading this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canadian_daisy

Welcome to the forum.

I have yellow bearded iris which is budding right now planted among some tulips. The only problem is iris clumps get really big so you have to divide them every 3-4 years. But they bloom right about the time tulips fade.
If you don't mind using pansies they come in all colours, so you shouldn't have a problem finding yellow ones. And they self-seed so you'll get volunteers.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 11:02AM
LolaNH

Do you know if pansies bloom over a long period or short? Will they continue for most of the summer? Thank you so much for your input!

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 11:51AM
canadian_daisy

From my experience, pansies bloom until about August, then their life cycle as biennials winds down - their seeds will have self-sown everywhere and you'll have to wait til next Spring to see new vibrant plants.

Annuals in front of, or in among your spring bulbs can also hide their dying foliage. I plant nasturtiums every year in the front of one of my bulb beds. They bloom so profusely by the end of summer, they're quite spectacular.

(Sorry in my earlier reply I suggested irisis but hadn't noticed you've already got them and they were already fading - I'm in a colder zone so things bloom later here)

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 2:05PM
mytime(3/4 Alaska)

I've also overplanted with pansies, but for me they last until after the first frost. I think the nasturtiums is a great idea, but I would still need something for inbetween the bulbs and the nasturtium blooms (LOL, I love pansies, but I think I have enough so I'm looking for another plant to use in addition to)

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
Chilling requirements for japanese maple.
I love the JM's I had a bloodgood. Planted it in the...
Sherwood Botsford
Something is eating my Basil
This was hapenning in my previous garden. I would bring...
magan
24 / 24 - light / darkness and more
Hi All, Summary: Can flowering tropical plants survive...
ejohnchat
Black walnut tree
Hi, I am having a blackwalnut tree cut down, and the...
joy4so
do you know what plant this is?
I saw this in the woods. What is it please?
Barb.ADK8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™