Jasmine or Gardenias

arcoiris69June 24, 2009

Hello, I would love to be able to take a jasmine or gardenia plant to a friend of mine that lives in the Mass area but I am unsure if either one of those would survive the cold winters..

Does anyone know if they would or not or have attempted trying either of these?

And if they don't grow well there, are there any suggestions of plants that are similar to these that give out a wonderful fragrance like these two plants??? TYVM.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

Plant them in a large pot, but bring them indoors for the winter. Acclimatize them in the spring. A vicious circle, but it pays off. They will do well in the garden in the summer, but will not survive the frost, so you must bring them indoors.

I do the same thing with my brugmansia bushes / trees. Extremely fragrant, but very fussy plants. Nevertheless, I have quite a few different varieties.

If we want the luxury of these magnificent plants, then we have to put a lot more effort into their maintenance than most plants would require. ... a price we have to pay.

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 9:24PM
denninmi(8a)

No, neither gardenias nor jasmine would likely survive in Mass, although possibly some of the most hardy kinds might make it in sheltered microclimates on Cape Cod, or on the islands, where the Atlantic moderates the cold in winter.

I do have a suggestion for you, though, for an unusual blooming shrub with wonderful foliage and fragrance, and that is a buttonbush. It's actually a native plant, likes wetlands and does ok in semi-shade, and the flowers are round balls that smell heavenly, spicy and similar to cloves. Try a google search for it, and you should be able to find information and sources. Mine is about to bloom, and I always look forward to it. Bloom time is for about 2 to 4 weeks in mid-summer.

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 8:22PM
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

Actually, I just bought a Jasmine plant yesterday. I was told to do exactly as I had suggested above.

Now I have to check out this buttonbush plant. Thanks for the tip, denninmi.

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 10:46PM
More Discussions
Something is eating my Basil
This was hapenning in my previous garden. I would bring...
magan
Something killing my million bells!
They were flourishing and beautiful. Now there's some...
JJcanuck
24 / 24 - light / darkness and more
Hi All, Summary: Can flowering tropical plants survive...
ejohnchat
dieffenbachia flowering
Hello there. My dieffenbachia is about five years old...
Winnie12
Blue Delphinium Reverting to White
I planted a 'Blue Butterfly' delphinium last year and...
Amanda33
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™