black-eyed susans

sweetleelee(4 WI)July 6, 2004

Hi --

We have had an usually cold summer here. I started my black-eyed susans from seed and placed them outside when they were three inches tall, the first week in June. It has been unseasonably chilly and wet, even for us. They have grown only about an additional inch and a half. Since they seed themselves, if they do not mature to flower this year, does that mean that they won't come up next year? If I start them from seed again, should I start them a lot earlier and set them out when they are taller? I admit I didn't do a lot of investigating; I just went by the seed packet instructions. Thanks for any help. Lee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

We'll get some warm weather soon. I understand your concerns as I have some started as well and they have not grown much. I would leave them be, and see what happens. You could also start more now, and more by winter sowing to be transplanted in the spring. Check out the winter sowing forum. They are self seeders so trust in mother nature. We sometimes have to try to fool her though.

Bookmark   July 6, 2004 at 8:54AM
bonsai_audge

Are they the perrenial or annual variety?

-Audric

Bookmark   July 6, 2004 at 8:09PM
sheryl_ontario(Muncho Lake, BC z2)

Ordinary, standard black-eyed susans are usually perennials and just keep getting bigger and bigger every year. I didn't know there were annual ones.

Bookmark   July 7, 2004 at 9:20AM
shapiro(5a Ontario)

Wow! Lee, I really admire your determination to be a gardener under what sound like pretty difficult conditions. You call it guerilla gardening, we call it "extreme gardening", you know, like extreme sports or whatever. We are in Ottawa, Canada. July 17 - it was 28 degrees - sorry, that's Celsius, so high 80s Farenheit to you. I hope your Black Eyed Susans are doing better now. Mine are lovely and some are those great big ones that have maroon in the centre. Do you grow Achillea, Alchemilla (aka Ladies' Mantle) Astilbe, Campanulas, Centaureas, Columbine, Coneflower, Coralbells, Daylilies, Dicentra (aka Bleeding Heart) Geranium (the perennial plant, not the houseplant) Hostas, Jacob's ladder, Lily of the vally, Lychnis (or rose campion) Monarda, Nepeta or catmint, Peonies, Phlox, Sage (the perennial ones), Sedums, Valerian, Verbascum, Veronica, Violets, Yucca? All of these are very, very cold tolerant.

Best of luck to you!

Bookmark   July 17, 2004 at 9:57PM
Ptuny

I have a perinnial garden. Absolutely everything in it, I've started from seed.
I have found that with perinnials, the first year you may get some blooms, but next year you will be amazed at the show!
Mark each new plant with a small stake, so you will know next year that you have something growing that is not a weed! (I learnt that the hard way!)
Happy gardening, I live in the Parklands of Manitoba, and whatever grows in my garden has to be tough!
~~P'tuny

Bookmark   July 18, 2004 at 12:49AM
More Discussions
Hansa Rose Shrub
I have just recently found this shrub, which is a Hansa...
Sweety2002
Blue Delphinium Reverting to White
I planted a 'Blue Butterfly' delphinium last year and...
Amanda33
suggestions for buying online clematis
I am looking for Canadian sites to search/buy clematis...
bloomorelse
Something killing my million bells!
They were flourishing and beautiful. Now there's some...
JJcanuck
Shrub Recommendations/Photos for Zone 2-3
Having recently moved to an acreage in Grande Prairie...
Leandra7
Sponsored Products
Beverly Drive Suspension
Lightology
Belham Living Landon Extra Tall Swivel Barstool with Nailheads - WOOD H-34
$269.99 | Hayneedle
Full/Queen Diamond-Quilted Wyatt Coverlet 96" x 96" - ROYAL PEACOCK
$249.90 | Horchow
Glomar Vanguard 1-Light 6 in. Wall Fixture with Ecru Diamond Shades Flemish Gold
$26.90 | Home Depot
Sonneman | Corona 19 Inch Square LED Pendant Light
YLighting
Exos Double Shade Medium Pendant
Lightology
Natural Light Neapolitan Candlestick Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
35 Inch Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™