Foxglove seeds

kc14July 4, 2009

I had a tall pink foxglove blooming very nicely but todays rain broke it down. My husband cut it off and I am wondering if there is any way to save seeds from the flowers. The top of the stalk if full of blooms, the lower part is missing the flowers but looks like seeds may be in their spot. Can they be dried or planted as is or will neither work?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter(3)

The only way to know if the seed has matured enough to germinate is to plant some. I would collect as much as is there and spread them on good soil and try. I wouldn't try them outside because they would have a better chance indoors where you can control the moisture etc. Just sprinkle them on top of moist soil and give them a spritz with a spray bottle occasionally to keep the seed moist. You can put a humidity hood on but lift it slightly so there is air circulation.

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 3:08PM
oilpainter(3)

Forgot to say don't cover the seed--it needs light to germinate

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 3:09PM
marricgardens

Just wanted to say that my foxgloves all reseed. If any of the seed pods had broken and dispersed the seeds, the seeds would probably germinate next year. You will have to look for the seedlings in the spring. If you aren't sure what the seedlings would look like, you can see them at this site: www.theseedsite.co.uk Marg

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 8:56AM
squirelette

Hi,
If you cut the flower stem right off then you should get a 2nd bloom. I would guess that the seeds were not ripe yet so you are better off waiting for the next bloom. If you lay a light colored sheet beside the plant once the bloom is finished then you will get the seeds falling on it and you will be able to see them. I have had 4 sets of blooms come up by dead heading, they get smaller each time. Left alone the will throw seeds everywhere and the birds love them

Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 11:16AM
More Discussions
help lilacs near garden
Hi, I am planning to do a lilac hedgerow north side...
Meuhey
Overwintering Tree form lavender
My inlaws gave my wife a lavender 'tree' for mother's...
Sherwood Botsford
Calling Idaho Gardeners! Help!
I'm working on a book which takes place in central...
HollyKline
Black walnut tree
Hi, I am having a blackwalnut tree cut down, and the...
joy4so
Tree for Montana
I am interested in what kind of a ornamental tree would...
merrygardener
Sponsored Products
Ultra Medium Outdoor Wall Mount
$123.95 | Bellacor
Air Duct - 6 in. - 25 ft. Insulated - ACDC625IN
$69.99 | Hayneedle
Magellan Ceiling Fan
Lightology
Sea Gull Lighting Sebring Brushed-Stainless-Steel Outdoor Wall Lantern
Overstock.com
Argent II Aged Bronze Outdoor Wall Mount
$90.45 | Bellacor