Clematis in zone 3 and 4

jennie_in_mt(z3 MT)July 10, 2007

What are your clematis success and failures? I am planning on placing an order for some that I can't find locally.

I have jackmanii, Josephine,and Warsaw Nike as established plants. I have added Sweet Autumn, Dr Ruppel , and Comtesse de Bouchaud this summer (crossing my fingers they will come through!)

Anyone have any suggestions for more additions? Also, in the colder zones is Tangutica as invasive?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clairabelle(z4 Quebec)

This link might help you out.
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/index.cfm

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 9:30AM
Brokenhead(z3Man)

I have 'Polish Spirit' and it has been a prolific bloomer from day one. I also have a Nellie Moser but it has never bloomed for me. I started a couple of the yellow ones (sorry I can't remember what it's called) from seed and they have been great bloomers too. I am in Manitoba, Zone 2b.

Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 3:29PM
bern_2007

another one would be Ville de Lyon. Nellie Moser, Sorry yours didn't flower for you brokenhead, I had one, it was very pretty, and full. Lost it because of some renovation.

Bookmark   July 21, 2007 at 8:15PM
thegardeningjournal

I planted Niobe this spring (for the second time - the first died of unknown causes two years ago), and I would like to add Alpina "Tage Lindell" and Nelly Moser next year. I had a three-year-old Comtesse de Bouchaud that died while we were out of town for two weeks (I forgot to have our housesitter water the plants). I have the obligatory jackmanii, that loves it's spot so much it needs a larger trellis.

Meagan

Bookmark   August 18, 2007 at 5:22PM
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

Thumbs up for jackmanii and the similar Jackmanii superba. I also have a smaller size one called Hagley hybrid with big pinkish blossoms. It fills a 4 foot trellis rather nicely and grows in part shade.

Also trying one called Victoria but it sort of resembles Jackmanii but with less petals and perhaps a bit more blue-purple.

As a precaution, I usually mulch peat moss or leaves over the base of the clematis for winter and then ensure I pile lots of snow cover.

I have tangutica but don't find it that invasive, though to be honest it's in a poor soil spot by the carport that doesn't get much watering, fertilizer, etc.

glen

Bookmark   August 18, 2007 at 8:03PM
More Discussions
suggestions for buying online clematis
I am looking for Canadian sites to search/buy clematis...
bloomorelse
do you know what plant this is?
I saw this in the woods. What is it please?
Barb.ADK8
Rhubarb seed
I am looking for seed or plants of the ornamental Atrosanguinium/Atorpurporeum...
Garlicking
DESPERATELY Seekig Bakeapple/Cloudberry
Hello, I do not live in Canada; please forgive my forum...
Robin282
Tree for Montana
I am interested in what kind of a ornamental tree would...
merrygardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™