Anybody else from NW Wisconsin in here?

artesianhill(Z3 WISC)July 16, 2005

Hello? Can't seem to find a forum. I see Canada and Minnesota. What happened to Wisc? I'm sure I'm zone 3 somewhere but not sure where I should go.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
big_dummy(z3 WI)

I'm from NW WI. Zone 3. Sawyer County to be exact.

Bookmark   July 16, 2005 at 10:55PM
artesianhill(Z3 WISC)

That's great...have at least two in here! I'm in Douglas County. What forums do you use for zone 3?

Bookmark   July 16, 2005 at 11:34PM
big_dummy(z3 WI)

I check in the Tomatoes, Northern and Seed saving forums almost daily. But I keep an eye on Exchange, Allium, Peppers, and Heirloom (every couple of days or so).

At this time there is no WI forum, so the Northern is a compromise. But you never know about the future.

Bookmark   July 18, 2005 at 9:41AM
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

Hello there,

Please also check out the "Far north" gardening forum. Lots of people from zones 3,2,1 on there.

Glen

Here is a link that might be useful: Far North Gardening

Bookmark   July 18, 2005 at 11:22PM
leftwood(z4a MN)

The Far North Forum is great, and we welcome anyone at the Minnesota Forum too.
Rick

Bookmark   July 22, 2005 at 7:26PM
earnhardtfan(4)

I am from West central WI! Dunn County. I check into the MN forum a lot.

Bookmark   July 24, 2005 at 7:02AM
virginia_w(z3 WI)

I'm also from Sawyer County. I check Midwestern, Great Lakes, and also Minnesota and this one. What do we need to do to get a Wisconsin site?

Bookmark   August 4, 2005 at 2:08PM
artesianhill(Z3 WISC)

Not sure how to go about getting a Wisconsin site. It probably would be nice to see specific zone sites, actually.

Bookmark   August 5, 2005 at 9:54PM
lakecottage(4a)

I'm in Polk Co ... supposedly Zone 4, but lots of freeze-out for plants approved for Zone 4.

Anyone have a good plant source site for zone 3? Or 2?

Bookmark   August 7, 2005 at 9:05PM
artesianhill(Z3 WISC)

Just a few years ago, we had a freak winter of little snow and the frost went down deep....all plants, bushes, etc. of zone 4 died. And still the garden shops sell zone 4 and still the people buy them. But mother nature is eventually going to catch up with them when they least expect it. I usually peruse the garden catalogs, like "Gurneys" and look for the toughest meanest plants I can find. ha

Bookmark   August 8, 2005 at 10:16AM
virginia_w(z3 WI)

I live in Zone 3, and although I lost some plants-- some hostas, two clematis, and several other plants-- when we had that deep frost a few years ago, most of my plants survived. It may be partially due to my south-facing hillside garden. On the other hand, many plants behind the house survived also. We did not have much snow, but I usually allow the leaves that fall to cover the garden (we have mainly a woodland garden), and that may have saved them. I would, however absolutely recommend "The Winter Greenhouse", in Winter, WI, as a source for plants for Zones 3 and 4. They are in Zone 3 also and have beautiful demonstration gardens, as well as a great variety of perennials, hostas, shrubs and annuals. They will always tell you when any plant they sell may need winter mulch, and are very good about replacing plants that don't make it.

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 4:18PM
More Discussions
False Sunflower
I am always impressed with the knowledge on this site,...
dawny2u2
delphiniums
Can someone tell me where the best place in Canada...
marricgardens
Black walnut tree
Hi, I am having a blackwalnut tree cut down, and the...
joy4so
do you know what plant this is?
I saw this in the woods. What is it please?
Barb.ADK8
Something is eating my Basil
This was hapenning in my previous garden. I would bring...
magan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™