Brussels sprouts

gsevensJuly 3, 2009

I planted brussels sprout plants into the garden about May 12th. They have been growing good, I think so far. I guess they take about 90 days to mature. Info I am finding online makes me think they will not form right because of the heat in the middle of the summer. I read somewhere that some people top the plant when buds start to form. Can topping the plant force sprouts to form earlier than they normally would. I am trying to get sprouts before heat of summer shows up. I topped 1 plant and a few days later I saw little buds forming on the stem. I don't know if I caused this by topping, or if it is coinsidence. I topped the rest of the plants. I already started some sprout seeds in garden to hopefully have a fall harvest. Next year I will start them earlier in the spring.

Anyone else grow Brussels Sprouts with any luck?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chervil2(z5 MA)

I grow Brussel sprouts as only a fall crop and do not push the harvest any earlier than September, I think that light frosts imporve the flavor. I start seeds in mid May and transplant into the garden in early June and let them grow without topping them. I am interested in finding out if any grows these routinely as a summer crop.

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 8:25PM
gsevens

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try planting for a fall crop from now on. If my seeds sprout that I put in the ground, I might be a little late this year but we will see. Who knows, with the weather we have had lately.

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 12:46AM
suenh(4)

Just keep letting them grow. It really doesn't stay hot enough for long enough up here to worry about fall crops. Besides a huge brussel sprout plant has a certain coolness factor. The sprouts themselves are much tastier after a good hard frost anyway.

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 8:56AM
gsevens

They are still growing, but I already screwed up. I didn't think they would form right in the middle of august, so I broke the tops off about a month ago to speed things up a bit. I think all I did was cut my harvest in half. I did start new seeds right next to my current brussels sprout plants. The plan was to use the current one to shade the small plants from the summer heat, then when I harvest the current ones, they will get pulled and allow room for the new to grow up. I think I planted seeds too close though because they are growing but the current plants still have too far to go. We'll see what happens.

Paul

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 10:01AM
More Discussions
UMass Extension Landscape Message March 27, 2015
UMass Extension Landscape Message #2 - 2015 The Landscape...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #4
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Mason Bee House - - Where to position?
I could go to the Bee Forum, but thought I would ask...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Annie_NH Annual Plant Swap June 7, 2015
Hello, this is Annie's daughter Becky. We will be having...
annie_nh
Tropical Houseplants in CT
Besides Logee's, are there any other nurseries that...
javaandjazz
Sponsored Products
Brussels European Sham - WHITE
$185.00 | Horchow
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Surya Rugs angelo:HOME Green-Yellow 3 ft.
Home Depot
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Surya Rugs angelo:HOME Old Gold 2 ft. 6 in. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
Quoizel Jenkins Polished Nickel Desk Lamp
Lamps Plus
Robert Abbey Edwin Aged Brass Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Robert Abbey | Edwin Floor Lamp
$713.90 | YLighting
Homelegance Brussel II 3 Piece Coffee Table Set in Brown Cherry
Beyond Stores
Campania International Little Sprouts Kitten Cast Stone Garden Statue - A-437-AL
$54.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™