Aphids on my 'summer wine' Ninebark

cindilouwho(3-4)August 13, 2009

I am from Edmonton AB Canada. As I was watering last night my Ninebark looked very droopy. Thought at first it was just dry. When I looked closer, I noticed every leaf is full of aphids (I think that is what they are). How do I help this beautiful bush? Is there help? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter(3)

Do you have a hose end sprayer--the kind that miracle grow has? If so put 1/4 cup of mouth wash--the cheap kind with alcohol in it, in the bottle. Don't substitute rubbing alcohol. it has to be the kind you can drink or put in your mouth.

Add a teaspoon of lemon dish soap. Be careful with the soap too much can burn the leaves. Connect it to the hose and wait until the bottle fills with water. and spray the tree all over getting the undersides of the leaves. The solution mixes with the water so you don't over do it.

Spray in early morning or early evening. Do this so the leaves have a chance to dry before the hot sun hits them, or the cool night air hits them. The latter can cause fungal diseases.

Alternatively you can use insecticidal soap. Check often because it may have to be repeated.

If you can't do this right away give the tree a spray with the hoseend sprayer--don't set it on jet but on something that is not a fine spray. You are looking to dislodge the pests and maybe drown them but you don't want it so strong you'll tear the leaves

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
overwintering potted trees & seedlings
I have a lot of small volunteer trees from bad spots...
thelonerider1
yellow magnoila tree
I have a small five year old yellow magnolia that I...
diane_v_44
Shrub Recommendations/Photos for Zone 2-3
Having recently moved to an acreage in Grande Prairie...
Leandra7
dieffenbachia flowering
Hello there. My dieffenbachia is about five years old...
Winnie12
Blue Delphinium Reverting to White
I planted a 'Blue Butterfly' delphinium last year and...
Amanda33
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™