Best hybrid teas and floribunda roses for Central Oregon

walterdavidwilsonJuly 1, 2013

Within the next few months I will be moving from Georgia to Central Oregon (Redmond). I realize that is in Zone 1 and may limit my rose growing. Any ideas about what roses will do well in that area? I will be planting my roses in raised beds. Because Georgia is very humid, every summer my roses suffer from black spot. Is that much of a problem in the dry climate of Central Oregon? Thanks. Dave.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
OregonGrape

I don't know much about growing roses in dry climates, but I can tell you that you're unlikely to have problems with bacterial blight in Central OR. Way too dry. Your growing challenges are going to be relatively hot summer with relentless sun, winter cold, and a general lack of water and humidity (you're looking at 10-12" of rain a year). The soil is sandy and may be above pH 7 in some places.

The dominant flora in Deschutes County includes juniper, sagebrush, Ponderosa Pine, sulfur buckwheat, Indian paintbrush, and various forms of bunch grasses. Drought-tolerant plants hardy to USDA Zone 6 (or lower) that I would recommend trying in Redmond would be: Salvia dorrii, Salvia pachyphylla, Arctostaphylos pungens, Arctostaphylos patula, Penstemon centranthifolius, Penstemon grinnellii, Penstemon speciosus, and Eriophyllum lanatum.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 7:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Searles, The Garden of Joy lists and describes roses for the interior and talks about details of growing them there - for instance that hybrid teas are chlorotic on alkaline soils. There's also this, from OSU.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses ... in Central Oregon

This post was edited by bboy on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 20:20

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 8:06PM
More Discussions
Is it time to prune?
With the warm winter we are having, everything seems...
duncandotty
Anyone growing Tiger Eye Sumac?
Rhus typhina ÂBailtigerÂ. I'm thinking that this...
dottyinduncan
Question re: NW Garden show
We are planning to go to the NW Garden show for the...
dottyinduncan
Portland Yard Garden & Patio Show
Did anyone here ever attend that show and could give...
enith
looking for scion wood in Portland area
I'm looking for peach and possibly apple scion wood....
jimmy21
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™