'fall' bloomers

mollywankenobiAugust 6, 2010

This is probably a stupid question but I have shied away from asters (symphotrichums) and fall-blooming anemones because in my zone (4, Wisconsin) we start getting frosts in September and I worry that we won't get many flowers from them...is this true? or do they tend to carry on anyway, or maybe some cultivars do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

Asters stand up to a pretty hard freeze, to about 30 degrees. Anemones don't, the first freeze zaps them.

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 9:53PM
mollywankenobi

Thank you so much! That's exactly the kind of thing I wanted to know. I'll start with some asters.

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 3:47PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

One of my showiest fall bloomers (starting right now) is turtlehead or chelone lyonii, a rich deep pink. Anemone tomentosa robustissima is the hardiest of the fall anemones and blooms from August into September.

Here is a link that might be useful: anemone robustissima

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 9:39AM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

If you're looking for a reliable blue fall aster, try Aster laevis 'Bluebird'.

Bookmark   November 2, 2010 at 8:20PM
marricgardens

Personally, I never really liked asters. Two years ago I decided to try some anyway so I traded for some seeds. Best thing I did! The flowers were double magenta and a double pale pink, can't remember the name of the variety tho. They are not only very beautiful but they are long flowering. I've lost the magenta one this year because of the weather but I still have the pale pink one and it will stay in my garden. Marg

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 8:24AM
diane_v_44(Z6)

I just this week lost my Toad lily plants well I mean the frost hit them
They have looked so well in the garden. And yet blooming are both my pink and the white anemones. They are a little sheltered by some large oak trees.
One of the best things I have planted the past couple of years are Hydrangeas They do look so good all the time right til hard frost hits.

Bookmark   November 4, 2010 at 12:13AM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

It's mid-November (in 2 days) and after numerous hard frosts, my three types of pink hardy "mums" are still blooming as well as my Allium 'Ozawa'(deep pink), physostegia 'Vivid'(deep pink), and several blue/purple asters. That's what I call a successful fall bloom combo.

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
Need to buy a red leaf dwarf japanese maple asap
I need to know if it's possible and where I can order...
goudanuf4u
DESPERATELY Seekig Bakeapple/Cloudberry
Hello, I do not live in Canada; please forgive my forum...
Robin282
Tree for Montana
I am interested in what kind of a ornamental tree would...
merrygardener
dieffenbachia flowering
Hello there. My dieffenbachia is about five years old...
Winnie12
overwintering potted trees & seedlings
I have a lot of small volunteer trees from bad spots...
thelonerider1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™