So is anyone interested in a 2014 "Spring Fling"

p_mac(7)February 9, 2014

It may be a bit early to bring this up....but NAH.....

Last year was a blast for me! I got to meet and see so many from the NE part of our state thanks to Jo Ellen! She was a trooper of a hostess! She put EVERYTHING together in less than 3 weeks! But I don't think she'd volunteer for it 2 years in a row. LOL!

Just thought I'd throw this out there and see if there's enough interest. I know Trees4ok mentioned last year she'd offer to host so maybe that's an option. Also - I'd be happy to host too. If there's anyone else out there who'd like to maybe chime in - post here! I'm thinking a good time would be April 27 (Saturday after Easter). Anyone else have any ideas? Of course, we would start a totally separate sign up thread once we get the details established - but let's see if there's enough interest first. Btw - for any newbies - I'm central Oklahoma (Norman) located and so is Trees (Edmond I think)

So what does anyone think?

Paula

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chickencoupe

I'll be the first to say 'I'd love to.' Transporation is wonky for me, though. Will keep an eye out and give it a shot!

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 3:06AM
Lisa_H OK(7)

Paula, do you even have to ask? :) Yes for me!

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 9:43AM
amunk01

Count me in! Sounds fantastic :)

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 9:51AM
amunk01

Oops, duplicate post! :) I apparently got overly excited lol

This post was edited by amunk01 on Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 20:48

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 9:53AM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

it is never too early!

Count me in, as long as it isn't snowing on that date. (grin)

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 10:34AM
Cynthiann(7)

It sounds like fun.. I may try. Although, do you mean April 26 and not 27? The 26th is Saturday. That stood out to me because I'm doing the Memorial Marathon on Sunday April 27.

Cynthia

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 11:03AM
MiaOKC

Definitely!

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 1:14PM
wulfletons(Zone 7a)

I doubt I will have any seedlings to share, but will find some way to contribute.
Krista

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 1:53PM
amunk01

Ok, I just read through the 2013 Spring Fling thread (trying to figure out what exactly a âÂÂspring fling" consists of) and my sides are literally aching from laughing so hard at all the recluse and hermit admissions! You would never know it by how wonderfully helpful and quick to share this group is! I guess its no wonder I've felt oddly at home here! I'll be the first to say it.. I'm so nervous to come, but I'm dying to put faces to names and hang out with everyone! I wouldn't miss it for the world so sign me up for anything the hostess needs help with! I'm in Edmond and my sister is in Norman so any prep we can help with, don't hesitate to ask!
Alexis

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 9:27PM
p_mac(7)

amunk01 aka alexis - Welcome home! haha! I gotta real "kick" out of your take because you guessed it! We are all wonderfully "off" together!!!

Cynthia - um...yep. You're right. I meant the 26th of April. Saturday AFTER Easter. My bad for trying to multi task and look at a calendar. Shouldn't be that hard because I was transplanting tomatoe sprouts while looking at the calendar!

Anyone else? And yes, I know participation amps up the closer it gets. Planting season and a get together in Spring! It don't. get. NO. better.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 10:34PM
luvncannin

I wonder if I dip in the red river and wash off the west Tx dust if I could come ?
kim

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 5:02PM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Absolutely!!! We Okies always welcome folks from other states. You are a part of our forum, after all. However, if you dip yourself in the Red River, you and your clothes will be dyed Red River Clay Red, and I am not sure that is an improvement over West Texas dust.

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 5:10PM
luvncannin

I would love to come since I feel I know you all already. I am mostly a lurker but occasionally have spurts of socializing. :)
kim

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 5:40PM
wulfletons(Zone 7a)

I should have mentioned that I don't think we are up for hosting, but if this year's fling is held in central Ok we can help with food and other prep (we are in far north east Cleveland county).

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 8:52PM
p_mac(7)

Kim - HECKYAH you're welcome!!! Like Dawn (a transplanted Texan herself!) said - we're ALL part of the same group!!! You and Dawn got here to our Oklahoma way just as fast as you could, I'm sure. haha! And personally, I'm kinda partial to west Texas dust...my godson and his new son live in Sweetwater.

Wulfleton - you just may be a neighbor. I too am in far northeast Cleveland County.

And just FYI - this isn't some kind of fancy affair. We have a "pot-luck" luncheon. Just whatever you want to bring...it ALWAYS works out to be more than enough food. No plants to share? No worry. Someone ALWAYS has more than they need. Haven't seen one yet in 4 years that there wasn't an abundance that someone took home. Got extra pots? Plant Stakes? Trays? Bring them. This is just the one time of year we try to get together to put names to faces (and faces to names). No sweat. No obligation.

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 9:16PM
nowyousedum(7a)

I, too, am mostly a lurker! I've posted a few times, but so enjoy soaking up all the "dirt" on gardening! I'm in SWOKC, so anywhere is good for me.

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 9:51PM
soonergrandmom

Paula, count me in please.

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 2:24PM
KB21(7)

I would love to join you all. I've been a lurker for the last year or so and am so appreciative of the useful information on this site. IâÂÂm starting my first garden this year (and taking a couple of horticulture classes at OSU-OKC) and have been soaking up the info like a spongeâ¦
Kristin

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 5:05PM
cochiseinokc

Count me in. I love this site and would love to meet you guys!

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 6:44PM
seeker1122(7a ok)

I'm in
Paula do you really want to do this again?
Your a trooper and I do love it at your place.

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 11:57PM
shankins123(7aOKC)

My first response was, "Well, duh!"
My gracious response is, "Yes, of course!"
I'll bring food, a door prize of some sort, and ... not sure about plants - we shall see :-D

Anyone and everyone....come! Even if you "lurk", have no plants, have no clue, and cannot cook...we'd love to get to know you in person!

Sharon

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 2:06PM
shallot(7a)

I would like to come and meet everyone. It was nice to put names to a few faces at the onion pick up so it would be great to add a few more!

The end of April will be busy for me because I defend my dissertation the following week. Maybe the lure of the spring fling will encourage me to get some work done in advance! I sure want to come though!

Bookmark   February 15, 2014 at 10:41AM
seeker1122(7a ok)

Last year someone made a cornbread salad.
It was yummy.
I didn't eat any meat cuz I was too busy eating that.
Bravo to the chef.
Tree

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 8:58AM
MiaOKC

Shallot - the fling is as short or as long as you want to make it! A few years ago I could only stay about an hour because I had a wedding photography job booked in the early afternoon. I had to skip the lunch portion of the event, but still managed to make it out with plenty of plants looking for a home. I changed into my work clothes in a gas station bathroom on my way to the church; totally worth it!

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 9:48AM
Lisa_H OK(7)

Oh, I bet I was the one who made the cornbread salad. I forgot all about it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornbread Salad

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 3:58PM
p_mac(7)

Tree - it WAS Lisa's Cornbread Salad. I ate it until I was almost sick. LOVED IT!!!! Lisa - I hope you know that is my ONE request from you this year. Please and thank you! And tonite I also grilled JoEllen's chicken. THAT recipe was a definite Keeper.

Mia - I remember your first year too!!! I was so impressed that although you had other obligations - you STILL made the time to be there. And that was how many years back? ha!

So...all...looking like we'll plan for April 26 @ the ol' NE Norman Acres? I think there's enough interest I'd be safe renting the porta-potty! LOL!!!

It makes me very happy to see so much interest in a spring get-together! This has been a wonderful weather weekend for most of us. Hope you got your hands in the dirt!

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 10:38PM
daughteroflight

I confess to lurking around here for the last year or so. I'll also probably have more questions than answers...as I've done most of my gardening in the north. Depending on the details I would enjoy getting together with you.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 10:54PM
carsons_mimi(7)

Yepper... 'nuf said. :-)

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 10:02PM
jlhart76(6)

I'm late to the party but count me in. I doubt I'll have anything to swap but I'll find something to contribute. We won't be selling the house this year after all so I might as well start a garden back up.

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 10:02PM
MiaOKC

Paula, I emailed you a couple of days after the onion pick up - did you receive my message?

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 11:29AM
p_mac(7)

Yes, Mia and many thanks!

Mia checked with our other forum member who had mentioned hosting the Spring Fling last year. She's going to be busy this spring, but hope she can make it to the Fling anyway.

SO! DH & I will be hosting this year! Mark your calendars for Saturday, April 26th! I'll start a sign up thread here in a few weeks so we can get an idea of how many, etc. By then we might have more of our gardens planned so we can start planning trades, swaps & offerings.

After a crazy couple of years, we're really looking forward to hosting and seeing everyone again!!!!

Paula

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 7:13AM
joellenh(6b Jenks)

I think I am going to miss it this year....:( I've been all wonky. I'm going to miss seeing you guys! I hope you have a great time!

Jo

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 9:21AM
OklaMoni

I just read all the messages. I hope, to bring my daughter (okievegan) with me, and to be there.

Just looked at the calendar, and it is open that day.

Count me in too.

Moni

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 3:45PM
p_mac(7)

Jo - we will miss you!!! And there's still time to change your mind....just sayin'.

Yea, Moni! I was hoping you would at least have a ride scheduled out here so you could drop by.

Watch the forum, guys. I'll be starting a sign up thread with the specifics by hopefully, this weekend. And if I don't reply real fast ....don't worry. At work I'm suffering thru a large government computer roll-out so.....I may be out doing garden therapy. A lot.

Paula

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 7:10PM
okievegan

Hey mom, when and where is it?

Whoever is hosting...
Are tiny little Maltese dogs in strollers permitted to go?

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 10:18PM
p_mac(7)

April 26 - info coming soon. Out at our place.

And of course tiny little Maltese dogs in strollers are welcome! One can't leave their children at home unattended.

Sorry...I just answered the "Mom" thing.....

Paula (aka p-mac)

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 11:03PM
OklaMoni

thanks Paula :) One just never quits being a mom.

Moni

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 11:12AM
okievegan

Yay!! We are excited!! :)

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 9:18PM
Erod1

Paula, what town is it???

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 1:14PM
amunk01

I think Paula is in Norman. :)

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 2:17PM
Erod1

Thank you

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 3:07PM
seeker1122(7a ok)

Can I start Spring Fling thread?
Tree

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 6:43PM
More Discussions
My Onions Are IN, now about snakes...
Thank you, Ms Dawn. Sorry for the late reply to your...
luvabasil1
Oklahoma Kiwi plant recommendations.
I have the OSU handouts, and have done some research,...
Sheik Paladin
The Twenty 'Best' Tomatoes
The latest issue of Mother Earth News has their list...
Okiedawn OK Zone 7
It was supposed to be cloudy with a chance of showers today...
so I got up and planted a row of broccoli by noon....
mulberryknob
Weed ID
(so I know I promised to never complain again, so I'm...
Lisa_H OK
Sponsored Products
Moen Platinum/ Chrome 2-handle Widespread Roman Tub Faucet
Overstock.com
New Red Veg Dyed Oriental Heriz 3' X 8' Serapi Runner Knotted By Hand Rug H5087
BH Sun Inc
Wrought Iron Dog Bed with Mattress
The City Farm
Birch Blue and Ivory Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$230.00 | Bellacor
Charles Grande Loveseat in Black
$749.00 | LexMod