Protecting stems of Hydrangia under winter cover

juliefrancAugust 15, 2009

The stems of my hydrangea suffered mold or fungus under its winter cover this year and died. Therefore I was lucky to have three blooms because it blooms on old wood. Since I did not cover it until November, it must have happened in the spring. So, I figure, take off the winter cover in March this year. Would that be a mistake? What else can I do to prevent this again? The cover I used was straw under a large styro-cone.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter(3)

I would not take it off completely in march, you like me probably get some very cold nights in march. I would uncover it and get rid of the mulch but leave the cone on. Then on warm days in spring take the cone off and then put the cone on at night when the temperature dips.

I have lost more perennials to cold spring and fall weather with no cover than I ever did with our cold winters.

I use dry leaves to cover my plants and I pile them loosly. This traps air around the plants. I rake them up when they are dry and put them in 5 gallon pails and store in my shed until I want to use them. Any left over go in the compost

Bookmark   August 15, 2009 at 8:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

Dust it with a fungicide just before putting the cover on. I use the generic, dollar store version of Gold Bond medicated powder as a fungicide, since it's a mix of Zinc oxide and essential oils. Works great, and its cheap. Plus, the zinc is an essential plant nutrient which enriches the soil the next spring. That being said, I've still never had much success in getting hydrangea buds to overwinter even under cover. I think the real answer might be to get rid of the old type and replace with the cultivars in the Endless Summer line which bloom on new wood. I was really impressed with the one I put in last year, its bloomed much better than my old Nikko Blue types that usually winterkill. And, these new types don't matter if they die back to the ground since they bloom on the new wood. They now have a blue and a bicolor white/pink "peppermint" they call it.

Bookmark   August 18, 2009 at 8:52PM
More Discussions
Raspberries
Hi Northern Gardeners, I want to plant one of my sunniest...
eatsivy
Black walnut tree
Hi, I am having a blackwalnut tree cut down, and the...
joy4so
suggestions for buying online clematis
I am looking for Canadian sites to search/buy clematis...
bloomorelse
Shrub Recommendations/Photos for Zone 2-3
Having recently moved to an acreage in Grande Prairie...
Leandra7
Need to buy a red leaf dwarf japanese maple asap
I need to know if it's possible and where I can order...
goudanuf4u
Sponsored Products
Silver Cabrera Handwoven Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Bellasera Mini Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Animal Kingdom Throw Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Palmyra Brown 18 x 18 Patterned Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Hazel 18-Inch Brown Decorative Pillows, Set of 2
$58.95 | Bellacor