Anyone familiar with the Green Gage Plum tree?

ellen_portland(z8 OR)July 29, 2009

I believe we have two of them in our backyard: small, green to then yellow/orange fruit, very tasty.

It is always getting so fruit heavy on the branches the branch snaps!! So now I have large branches on the ground laden with not ripe fruit. This seems to happen every other year or so. I've just trimmed them back quite a bit. We live right next to a walking trail and much of the trails trees have grown out into our yard- these poor little trees are growing out sideways a bit to get to the sun.

Any help on the care and feeding of these sweet little trees would be greatly appreciated. I would like to have some fruit left to harvest. What's the best way to do this? We usually put a sheet down and shake there is too many to pick! Any recipe ideas??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Wondering if you instead have Cherry Plum (Prunus cerasifera). Fruit variety and orchard husbandry information can be found on web sites of USDA Cooperative Extension Service network. Start by searching oregon extension.

Gages are European plums with same general growth and foliage characters as the popular Italian prune, the Damson, and others.

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 1:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JudyWWW(z7/WA)

I have a green gage I bought from Starks catalog over 30 years ago...it is a not quite round shape, green turning to yellow (sometimes to gold), blooms early, sets way too much fruit and frequently breaks limbs.....but oh so sweet although skin can be a little bitter. .... i prefer to eat them fresh but have used them in some jams and compotes jwww

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 2:49AM
More Discussions
Grape hobbyists in Olympia Area?
I am looking for a home for a few hybrid grapes. Lost...
David
soil stablization
I live in the mountains of southern oregon where it...
Shaun Brink
Aspirin and fig rust
Recently, I visited my brother in Thailand and he has...
winsorw
Anyone "wintersowing" tomatoes in the PNW?
I wintersow/spring sow everything else and have for...
Kristin
need pruning advice for culinary sage bush
I am the new owner of 2 very old sage shrubs badly...
saxonmjs
Sponsored Products
Drachmann Bench 51 - Teak - Skagerak
$1,299.00 | HORNE
Airtek Raised Flocked Queen-size Air Bed With Built-in Pump
Overstock.com
College Ruled Mug
$13.99 | Dot & Bo
Bover | Club-P Floor Lamp
YLighting
Colonial Mills Midnight Chair Pad - 15 x 15 in. - MN37A015X015
$16.99 | Hayneedle