what cover crop animals don't eat

MassachusettsGrowerJuly 2, 2013

I wanna know what cover crop animals don't eat. Even common vetch is listed as being forage for ruminents. But what's getting me is the rabbit and vole animals that chew down many of the cover crops as if they were treats. So would common vetch be immune to rabbits and voles, even though food for ruminents like deer?

Ones I've tried that get hit:
black-eyed [cow] peas
"chickling vetch" [Lathyrus Sativa] sold by Johnny's

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

I've used Hairy Vetch, Vicia villosa, from Johnny's. I do not normally have a lot of critter problems. Rabbits once in a while, who seem to gravitate to the clover in the lawn, rather than the cover crop in the vegetable beds. But I do have raised beds and rarely a rabbit in the yard. I don't have deer. Might have a mole/vole or two and two seasons I had chipmunks that are gone since having a dog in the yard all the time.

Good luck.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 6:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

How big an area are you talking about? Does it need to be a legume or would something like a wheat or rye work? I think any legume would be prone to damage by rabbits and voles, but if it is a smaller area you could try some of the solutions listed in one of the vole threads listed here, or in the hosta or perennial forums if it is a smaller area. Some folks have found that bright shiny pinwheels (handmade or dollar store) around a garden bed also will discourage the critters.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 9:03AM
More Discussions
Flora at THBG
I think this exhibition of flowers and flower arrangements...
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b
Cold or not, it's THAT time of year again!
The infamous Philadelphia International Flower Show is...
hunt4carl
Seaweed as mulch
I am thinking of using seaweed as mulch or add to my...
dwyerkg
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
2015 Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
I am starting a new sale thread for 2015 so it will...
NHBabs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™