Is it too late to plant daylily & catmint now?

kristin_flower(4a)August 23, 2007

I'd like to add some hardy perennials to my garden. Is it too late in the season to add daylilies and catmint (hardy to zone 3 according to the garden center tags).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Judy_B_ON(Ontario 5B)

Not too late to establish, but they will not bloom this year. If your area is still hot and dry, I would wait another week or two. Perennials will establish better in the cooler, wetter conditions of early fall rather than summer. Perennials planted in the fall will grow roots until the ground freezes and be in good shape to take off in the spring.

Bookmark   August 26, 2007 at 12:09AM
shapiro(5a Ontario)

As a follow-up to Judy B above, I would like to say that any transplanted perennial needs to be in the ground six weeks before the hard frosts. So, for instance, around Ottawa, you should get your transplants in the ground no later than mid-September.

Bookmark   October 14, 2007 at 5:51PM
zengeos(5 Maine)

Daylilies are one of the hardiest, low maintenance perennials out there. In fact, some spread so quickly they are almost like weeds! Daylilies THRIVE when divided with relative frequency. I have actually left some clumps o daylilies utside on the bare ground over winter, and in 1 example, I found 2 clumps this past OCTOBER/early November. They both clearly still had good roots, so I planted them and expect to get blooms next year.

The only caveat to late season planting is the stronger risk of heaving. Like bulbs, though, they can be planted right up to snow in some cases. If the ground is diggable to the necessary depth, and doesn't have ice grains, you can plant them.

Mark-

Bookmark   December 17, 2007 at 8:17PM
More Discussions
Need to buy a red leaf dwarf japanese maple asap
I need to know if it's possible and where I can order...
goudanuf4u
delphiniums
Can someone tell me where the best place in Canada...
marricgardens
yellow magnolia tree
Is it to late to move a small magnolia tree that is...
diane_v_44
Heirloom Plant & Herb Sale...especially for midwest gardeners
Saturday, May 23 9 AM-Noon Concordia University, 12800...
jeannelmueller
Something is eating my Basil
This was hapenning in my previous garden. I would bring...
magan
Sponsored Products
Small Tulip Check Travel Pouch
$32.00 | Horchow
Lavender Stack
Grandin Road
Orchid Chrome Four-Light 20-Inch Flush Mount with Royal Cut Clear Crystal
$550.00 | Bellacor
16" White Cedar Planter - Set of 2
Fifthroom.com
Henri Studio Classic Planter Pillar Fountain
Lamps Plus