Could you ID this tree?

snorkyllerAugust 19, 2008

Hello,

Could you ID the tree with the above pictures.

I don't have any other informations about the tree except this piece of bark.

The bark is soft to the touch (not hard) and the color is a very pale gray. It's easy to take a big piece of the bark. It is very flexible and doesn't broke easily if you fold it. The bark is like a lot a little sheets placed one on the others. The trunk is covered by a lot of green moss.

The tree is located at Quebec city in Canada, in a forest made of easthern red oaks (quercus rubra), easthern hemlocks (tsuga canadensis) and american beechs (fagus grandifolia). Each of those three are equaly represented in number and in all sizes (some has 2 feets of dbh). They are dominated although by many easthern white pines (pinus strobus). There are some sugar maple and northem white cedars (thuja occidentalis). It loo like a virgin forest.

I think that my piece of bark doesn't come from one of the trees that I mentionned. I thought it could be an easthern hophorbeam (ostrya virginana) or a white oak but I'm really not sure.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

Have you tried posting your pictures at the gardenweb 'trees' forum? The folks there are a wiz at tree identification, though they possibly might need more than the bark to help in indentification. Anyways, the link is below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenweb Trees forum

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 10:33PM
More Discussions
Horsetail
I have a major infestation of horsetail in one of my...
AshtonGardener
Chilling requirements for japanese maple.
I love the JM's I had a bloodgood. Planted it in the...
Sherwood Botsford
help lilacs near garden
Hi, I am planning to do a lilac hedgerow north side...
Meuhey
Upper Michigan Gardening
I am looking for help from anyone who lives in upper...
MTZone4
yellow magnolia tree
Is it to late to move a small magnolia tree that is...
diane_v_44
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™