green house materials

the_blue_roseSeptember 15, 2010

Any idea which is better for a green house? Plexiglass or glass. Perhaps another material?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xaroline(zone 3 Calgary)

I do not have a greenhouse, but I am looking at 6mm polycore as a possible material. Clear glass does not diffuse the light as do the synthetics.

Bookmark   September 19, 2010 at 12:54PM
oilpainter(3)

Anything that lets in good light and keeps out cold is good for a greenhouse. If you have salvedged wondows(doulbe paned is best)use them, or put plastic over them to create a dead air space.

If however you are buying stuff for a greenhouse go with polycarbonite panels. They have a Uv film on them and are made for greenhouses. Don't forget to add closable vents

Bookmark   September 25, 2010 at 12:38PM
baggz(2b)

Hi I used to work several years at a greenhouse was the R&D guy /grower for about 50,000 sqft plastic and 2 large glass houses..which were changed to lexan.
Yes the double poly is best and you could dig down 2 feet or so and put ridged insulation around the perimeter. A lot of heat loss comes from there. Inflate with outside air. Some put an inside ceiling over the plants at night or a thermal covering over the entire greenhouse at night. During the day if it is getting to hot shade it from the outside..that works best. Also note that small greenhouses are not the best cause the air change is to fast. So be aware of that and regulate accordingly. Hope this helps you out : )

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 11:59AM
More Discussions
delphiniums
Can someone tell me where the best place in Canada...
marricgardens
Elderberries Eaten
Every year I lose most my elderberries to something....
dawny2u2
Need to buy a red leaf dwarf japanese maple asap
I need to know if it's possible and where I can order...
goudanuf4u
DESPERATELY Seekig Bakeapple/Cloudberry
Hello, I do not live in Canada; please forgive my forum...
Robin282
Chilling requirements for japanese maple.
I love the JM's I had a bloodgood. Planted it in the...
Sherwood Botsford
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™