What type of flower is this? Will pruning encourage new growth?

Planter91July 26, 2014

Yellow with a red center. The flowers seem to last a few days and then they start to look like they had a bad hair day.

Do they need to be pruned to encourage more growth?

Cute little flowers. I want to know what type. My research into China Aster's and general Aster's show no Yellow Ones with red centers.

I planted a mixed variety that I bought in the store and have to identify each one by one.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Might well be Calendula, a flowering annual plant. If you don't get a for-sure ID here fairly quickly, the folks on the Name That Plant forum are whizzes at IDing plants.

(You also have a large weed on the left side, lamb's quarters, AKA Chenopodium album or other Chenopodium species. You want to remove that since it appears to be out-competing the flowering plant.)

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 12:28PM
Planter91

Thanks fir the reply, nhbabs

These plants cam from a Wild Flower Seed Pack I bought at the store. Listed on the pkg is "Calendula Officinalis" so it is probably that.

The other plant, you say is a weed? Research says it is highly edible.

Should the Calendla Offinalis spent flower heads be pruned back to encourage more growth?

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 1:19PM
diggingthedirt

Yes, removing spent flowers, called dead-heading, does help plants produce more blooms.

I guess you're right about the lambs quarters ID, NHBabs, although LQ foliage is sort of dusty looking, and this seems a bit bright - maybe that's just the contrast with the calendula foliage, which is a little yellowish.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 6:01PM
defrost49

I agree with calendula identification. There are different varieties and that looks like a nice color combination. The flower is edible but I never eat mine. You might deadhead to encourage more blooms but calendulas readily self sow for me here in NH. This spring I transplanted some to other parts of the vegetable garden and pulled out some. So if you want some next year, let it go to seed at the end of the season.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 8:12AM
More Discussions
Something to brighten up this horrible winter
I was in Palm Springs a couple of weeks ago. Maybe...
bill_ri_z6b
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #3
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 13-16, 2015
The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 13-16, 2015 About Claire...
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #2
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™