transplant a nine bark

jkeithsrSeptember 28, 2012

I have a nine bark bush that's being squeezed by a pine tree. I'd like to move the bush. It's height is 4 - 5 ft.

Do I wait for dormancy? Cut it back? Any ideas and comments would be appreciated. Climate zone 5. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trere(Calgary, AB Zone 3A/B)

I'm zone 3, transplanted my Diablo in the spring it had already started to leaf out a little bit. it slept for about 3 weeks after but finished leafing out beautifully. I kept it evenly moist at first and then continued with deep waterings throughout the growing season. I dug wide, used Mykes for the roots and amended the spot it went to with compost. I would definitely wait for dormancy whether it be fall or early spring. You can just cut it back but I find for me they grow quickly, so depends if your okay with the upkeep. I like to transplant in the spring so I can keep watch until it regrains vigor, but winter here can be treacherous so your your call!

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 1:18PM
defrost49

I'm planning to move a large viburnum. The nursery said it would be better to wait until spring before the leaves come out. If I wanted to move in the fall, he told me to wait until the leaves were off but he really thought I should wait until spring.

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 12:59PM
friendshipgarden(Zone 2/3 Canada)

I have three ninebarks and although they were still alive this season, they have not done really well. We have a light sandy soil; I'm wondering if they are heavier feeders and need more compost. They definitely need alot more water than other shrubs and they let you know it. They're like drama queens; the minute they lack moisture, the leaves begin to droop. Looking for feedback from others. also interested in knowing what other varieties of trees and shrubs do well in Calgary. Our climate is similar with more snow coverage, not as many chinooks. I noticed many different ornamental trees and shrub when driving through but no time to check out. Any suggestions?

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 1:01AM
sensiblegardening

I grow several varieties of ninebarks, I like them but also find them very drought tolerant. Here in the Okanagan on sandy soil, very hot summers and no irrigation water for me. They really hang in there when it's dry. Interesting how plants can act so differently in different areas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ninebark Shrubs

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 11:52AM
More Discussions
DESPERATELY Seekig Bakeapple/Cloudberry
Hello, I do not live in Canada; please forgive my forum...
Robin282
help lilacs near garden
Hi, I am planning to do a lilac hedgerow north side...
Meuhey
do you know what plant this is?
I saw this in the woods. What is it please?
Barb.ADK8
delphiniums
Can someone tell me where the best place in Canada...
marricgardens
Upper Michigan Gardening
I am looking for help from anyone who lives in upper...
MTZone4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™