Perennial question.....

haley_Z6(z6 MA)September 1, 2004

I split Black Eye Susan yesterday and planted a large bunch in a new spot....should I cut both groups back to the leaves or should i let them die off naturally for the end of the year????

I completely had to move my Russian Sage as we may be doing the construction project before the snow arrives, and if this is the case, I need to clear out all plants NOW when I can see them before they get trampeled and/or dug up by construction......SO......should i cut this all the way to the ground or just half....it looks like it is drying up though i know it is not with the rains and the sprinkler system we have....

ALSO.....I need to move a Potentilla Bush......it sits right were the new door will be......how is the root system on this plant???? LARGE, S p r a w l i n g , or compact????

Thanks Much

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Haley, any perennials can be moved right now and they don't need to be cut back until spring. A little bonemeal in the planting holes will help their root systems, and they should settle in well to their new homes. No idea about potentilla, though!

Bookmark   September 1, 2004 at 12:05PM
haley_Z6(z6 MA)

Marcia thanks, i figured they should do fine, but wanted to make sure....looks like the BES is setting seed too...

This Potentilla has me stumped.

Bookmark   September 2, 2004 at 9:14AM
tiffy_z5_6_can(5/6)

The question is, how large is this potentilla bush??? I will be moving 4 around our property over the weekend, and have no doubt they will survive. From what I understand, shrub roots can extend to the drip line of the shrub. This is the outermost area of the branches. So you determine the tips of the branches, visualize a straight line to the ground, and start excavating there...
I can't see a poltentilla's roots going too deep, and even if I do break some, they are really tough shrubs, and with some watering in their new spot, they will be OK.
Nicole.

Bookmark   September 2, 2004 at 9:12PM
haley_Z6(z6 MA)

Nicole

Thank you for that info, thats exactly what i needed to know...mine was only planted last year and isn't that large yet so this will be an easy move.....hearing you in Canada moving some this weekend and having faith in them makes me feel better, this was a new species to me last year and was doing very good this year...thank you again

Bookmark   September 3, 2004 at 9:53AM
More Discussions
suggestions for buying online clematis
I am looking for Canadian sites to search/buy clematis...
bloomorelse
24 / 24 - light / darkness and more
Hi All, Summary: Can flowering tropical plants survive...
ejohnchat
Watch Scorpion Season 1 Episode 20 Online
~HQ!>~Watch Scorpion Season 1 Episode 20 Online~![1080HD]!~ ~HQ!>~Watch...
Ricky Dawnson
overwintering potted trees & seedlings
I have a lot of small volunteer trees from bad spots...
thelonerider1
Upper Michigan Gardening
I am looking for help from anyone who lives in upper...
mtzone4
Sponsored Products
60" Trevett Double Vanity for Undermount Sinks - Walnut
Signature Hardware
Personalized Artisan Board with Name or Phrase
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
Thurston Brushed Steel LED Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
24-Piece Signature Classic Chocolates - GOLD
$48.00 | Horchow
Americh Catalina 6040 Tub (60" x 40" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
Upton Home Carson Oak Jewelry Armoire
Overstock.com
Pre-owned Seahorse Coffee Table
$550.00 | Chairish
AICO Furniture - TV Console Monte Carlo II - AI-N53095B
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™