Hardy Hibiscus?

HENRYSLAWEK(5A5B)September 1, 2004

I grow them from seeds the first time. The foilage is very attractive, glossy and fringed(?) but no flowers yet.

They are about 2+ feet. The person with whom I exchanged seeds (over here) told me that the plants are also called "winter poinsettia". What I see from photos in this forum none of those plants' leaves look like mine. They seem to be more round like Mellow. Mine are different, sort like Japanese Maple. Maybe this is perennial and will not bloom the first year?

Please help me to id it and any info will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Henry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bonsai_audge

Does it look like

If so, then it's a rose of sharon, which is related to the hibiscus and I think is a bit hardier.

-Audric

Bookmark   September 2, 2004 at 8:55AM
HENRYSLAWEK(5A5B)

NO, it doesn't look like that. The leaves are very narrow. It does not look like a Hibiscus at all. And the brunches are NOT woody like Hibiscus. I wish I had a scanner...goshhhh.

Bookmark   September 2, 2004 at 10:19AM
HENRYSLAWEK(5A5B)

Audric, I found it on the Hibiscus Forum thanks to one of the members who posted a pic of that plant. It is "Hibiscus Coccineus". Any idea if would survive in z5ab?
Thanks,
Henry

Bookmark   September 2, 2004 at 12:10PM
bonica(4NY)

Hey Henry..I'm up by Cornwall. I'm a firm believer that you can keep almost anything alive with enough straw! Your Hibuscus is a marsh plant from the southern US. Lotsa straw! Lotsa water. It'll get taller than you then bloom..lotsa blooms..falling all over trying to reach that low sun of ours.This one is worth the effort..when it blooms..WOW!! Good luck to you!
You can make pansies a perennial with a nice straw blanket..they will seed and turn into big patches of color..say ice blue..goes great with the daffy's!
I used to grow hybrid roses up here..but those nice high piles of straw put the mole population in overload and they ate the roses. I didn't have trouble with them where the straw was just a foot or so thick...watch for mole holes!
:)

Bookmark   September 14, 2004 at 8:24AM
More Discussions
False Sunflower
I am always impressed with the knowledge on this site,...
dawny2u2
do you know what plant this is?
I saw this in the woods. What is it please?
Barb.ADK8
Chilling requirements for japanese maple.
I love the JM's I had a bloodgood. Planted it in the...
Sherwood Botsford
DESPERATELY Seekig Bakeapple/Cloudberry
Hello, I do not live in Canada; please forgive my forum...
Robin282
Black walnut tree
Hi, I am having a blackwalnut tree cut down, and the...
joy4so
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™