H. 'Summer Breeze'

jan_on zone 5bSeptember 16, 2012

This little hosta delighted me and caught my eye every time I passed the bed where it is planted - it was just planted in July but breezed through this challenging summer unscathed. Here it is this week, perky and perfect.

Can't wait to see what a bit of maturity brings.

Jan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostaLes(5)

Oh Jan: when I am not so tired I will dig out and post our photos of Summer Breeze again. It is a really lovely hosta.
Les bought it last spring when he was disabled and I love it. It is still in a pot and look forward to seeing it mature in a bed.
Theresa

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 3:12AM
paul_in_mn(4b)

Lost one, but it's replacement seems to be doing well.

Paul

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 9:19AM
jan_on zone 5b

Here it is outshining the competition in the "stump back bed" newly planted this summer at our cottage. That's the St. Lawrence River lapping at our seawall in the background. The bed is the 'lemonade' we made after a huge pine tree fell on our roof during a storm. The resulting exposed roots suggested 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'.
Jan

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 10:52AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Yep, you made lemonade out of that fallen tree.
Don't know if you could plant a clematis on that spot in the back, but morning glory seeds would grow quickly to cover that section in the back quite nicely for warm weather next year.

I like Summer Breeze too, and it reminds me of Fragrant Bouquet and Sweet Innocence. All of them with that soft green middle and creamy margin are a pleasure to have around.

Boy, I think we will have more than 3 inches of rain today. It is coming in waves since mid morning. Lovely!

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 3:01PM
ConnieMay(6a(CAN))

Jan,

I couldn't agree more. I planted mine last fall and it has looked fantastic all season. It seems to be a strong & vigorous variety and looks great in quite a bit of shade. My eye is also drawn to it.

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 8:10PM
MsKitty31(4)

I want one now...where did everyone purchase their Summer Breeze from?

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 11:22PM
MadPlanter1 zone 5

I'm rather embarrassed to admit I bought mine at Walmart before I knew much about hostas. Apparently there's a big nursery that grows everything from Patriot to Wheee! near us, and sometimes Wally World gets their excess. No closeup, but it's the smaller hosta between Stained Glass and Guardian Angel.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 7:43AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

My Summer Breeze came from Naylor Creek.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 10:44AM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

You can get it from Hallson's (see Don_r's thread) for $12.00. Third year field grown plant.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Summer Breeze

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 1:17PM
MsKitty31(4)

Thanks. Pretty sure this is going on my Spring list :-)

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 1:52PM
irawon(5a Ottawa)

Enjoyed looking at everyone's 'Summer Breeze'. All summer I've admired it because the cutworms/slugs/earwigs have left it alone. The drought didn't faze it either. Here's a picture of my SB taken on August 2. It's not as bright as some of yours but I love it all the same. 'Dance with Me' which I believe is related in parentage hasn't fared as well in my garden.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 4:44PM
MadPlanter1 zone 5

Oops- my bad. I meant Earth Angel.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 8:20PM
bkay2000

It looks like it will do well for me in a pot. This is it's first year, but it didn't melt out. It even produced pods it's first year.

bkay

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 10:30PM
hostahillbilly(4)

1 of our favorites as well thanks for posting

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 12:28AM
hostahillbilly(4)

I can't figure out how to find a how to get a link from our fotos on PB when in 'Organize' 'Sort by . . .' mode so finally just did a search. It doesn't seem to allow you to search your OWN pics, just site-wide, drats!

Do other foto storage sites do this better?

Anyway, I came across a stunning clump, but again cannot get it to display here (it's from someone else) but if you cut and paste this link into your internet browser (I tried it and it works) you will see a beautiful example of this cultivar:

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z47/gardengirl820/Hostas/SummerBreeze.jpg

hth,

hh

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 12:46AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Hillbilly, I use Flickr and they allow searching your own photostream. I index my hosta submissions by name, so it makes it easy to find them again. I gave up on Photobucket.

And, while you could not put the HTML code for that picture up, in the email I got for posts to this thread, Yahoo had it as a clickable link, and the picture opened up pronto for me.

You are right, that is a gorgeous clump of Summer Breeze!

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 1:12AM
hostaLes(5)

I bought mine this year from Vilts here in Wilmington who I believe bought his stock from Q&Z, which is strictly wholesale I believe.

Les

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 5:19AM
paul_in_mn(4b)

HH, you can search only your own pics in photobucket (PB), at upper right click on magnifier icon, then click 'album'.....type in name to search.

Paul

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 8:50AM
hostahillbilly(4)

Paul,

That worked, thank you so much!

hh

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 11:08PM
More Discussions
potted hostas starting too early
Hi. I usually have my potted hostas in the garage (no...
esikko
HOSTAS TOXIC TO DOGS (and cats too)
I just discovered hostas are toxic to dogs. How did...
hostanista
Zinc plant markers
Is this what everyone is using? I saw 100 for sale...
CindyCRNA
Anyone get Flickr photos to work?
I've read through the attempts at getting photos to...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
halcyon vs bl wedgwood smackdown
did it work? halcyon blue wedgwood H as the typical...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™