oak leaves for garden mulch?

sidonieMarch 28, 2007

Hello all --

I've taken the plunge and started my vegetable garden early, too, and I have a question for y'all: I live near Lake Thunderbird and so have literally tons of oak leaves (blackjack and post oak) lying around. Can I use them as mulch in the vegetable beds, or do they have too much of something in them to be good for that? Thanks in advance for any advice you can share!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Oak leaves make a great mulch. They also feed the soil as they break down.

I always shred oak leaves with a leaf shredder before using them as mulch, or chop them up with the lawnmower. You can leave them full-sized, but then you may have a problem with them blowing around the garden when it is windy.

Bookmark   March 28, 2007 at 6:42AM
okiegardener(z7 OK)

I also have lots of oak trees and make mulch from the shredded leaves. In fact, I have three large yard bags full of them right now making quick compost. The only caution is try not to get too many acorns with the leaves - just take leaves that blow against fences or other plants. If you rake the ground under the trees for leaves, you'll get a lot of acorns mixed up with them and they are bad. The tanic acid in them inhibits growth and you don't want to put any of them around your plants or veggies. But the leaves themselves are great mulch and compost. Have fun!

Bookmark   March 28, 2007 at 10:12PM
sidonie

Thank you both for the info and the encouragement! Looks like I need to get out there and pile some of those chopped leaves on, with this cold weather heading this way... thanks again!

Bookmark   April 4, 2007 at 12:46AM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Oak leaves are some of the most nutritious leaves (for plants) there are to use for plants and organic matter added to soil. You are very lucky to have a source.

Susan

Bookmark   April 5, 2007 at 9:47AM
dukehullender_hotmail_com

I have heard that the oak leaves are full of something that roses love.

Bookmark   March 2, 2011 at 2:29PM
More Discussions
2015 Spring Fling Anyone?
It must be so. I've reserved a porta-potty and marked...
p_mac
Sweet pepper list
I started my sweet pepper seeds today and here is my...
oldbusy1
Gardenia and Peace Lily Zone 7
Hi All. My daughter died recently and we received...
realtrrldy
Problems/successes germinating
Since all I am doing right now is sowing and waiting...
luvncannin
Attracting Beneficial Insects to Your Landscape
Sometimes I think many gardeners tend to overreact...
Okiedawn OK Zone 7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™